problems installing matplotlib on OS X Lion

After many unsuccessful attempts at getting matplotlib installed on OS X Lion, I ran across this page:
Installing Matplotlib on OS X 10.7 with Homebrew « Random Musings for the Digital Age

Following these instructions got me the closest I have been:

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$ brew install pkg-config

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ git clone https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

$ python setup.py install

At the moment, I’m trying to get a script that was working on EPD 7.1 to work on Python 2.7.2. I’m using the TkAgg backend.

The first messages I see when running the script are:

objc[68962]: Class TKApplication is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKMenu is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKContentView is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKWindow is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

For both Tk and Tcl, …/Versions/Current points to 8.6.

From there, everything is fine until it executes show(), when I get the following messages:

Exception in Tkinter callback

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py”, line 1410, in call

return self.func(*args)

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 236, in resize

self.show()

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 240, in draw

tkagg.blit(self._tkphoto, self.renderer._renderer, colormode=2)

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/tkagg.py”, line 19, in blit

tk.call("PyAggImagePhoto", photoimage, id(aggimage), colormode, id(bbox_array))

TclError

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Lynn

I had a problem getting with Lion as well. I was able to work around it by:

1. unsuccessfully trying to install matplotlib for python 2.7 via macports

2. then using easy_install to install matplotlib

Bryan K. Woods, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist

Atmospheric & Environmental Research, Inc.

bwoods@…3763…

···

On Sep 4, 2011, at 1:06 AM, Lynn Oliver <raycores@…287…> wrote:

After many unsuccessful attempts at getting matplotlib installed on OS X Lion, I ran across this page:
Installing Matplotlib on OS X 10.7 with Homebrew « Random Musings for the Digital Age

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

At the moment, I’m trying to get a script that was working on EPD 7.1 to work on Python 2.7.2. I’m using the TkAgg backend.

objc[68962]: Class TKApplication is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKMenu is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKContentView is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[68962]: Class TKWindow is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

From there, everything is fine until it executes show(), when I get the following messages:

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py”, line 1410, in call

return self.func(*args)

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 236, in resize

self.show()

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 240, in draw

File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/tkagg.py”, line 19, in blit

TclError

Thanks,

Lynn

Special Offer – Download ArcSight Logger for FREE!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better
price-free! And you’ll get a free “Love Thy Logs” t-shirt when you
download Logger. Secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsisghtdev2dev

Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Bryan, thanks for the response.

I installed macports and the environment settings seem to be correct, but when I try “port help selfupdate” I get:

/opt/local/bin/port: line 4: /usr/bin/tclsh: No such file or directory

/opt/local/bin/port: line 4: exec: /usr/bin/tclsh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

I removed the installation of Tcl 8.6 and reinstalled ActiveTcl 8.5.10, but still get the same warnings.

Matplotlib is now complaining about the missing Tcl8.6:

ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/_tkagg.so, 2): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.6/Tcl.

I am assuming that your unsuccessful install via macports was after you had macports working; do you know what version of Tcl was installed?

Macports fails with the same warnings after putting a link to tclsh8.5 in /usr/bin/tchsh.

I still seem to be running in circles.

Lynn

···

On Sep 3, 2011, at 10:46 PM, Bryan K Woods wrote:

1. then using easy_install to install matplotlib

Bryan K. Woods, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist

bwoods@…3763…

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

return self.func(*args)

self.show()

TclError

Thanks,

Lynn

What happens if you use the MacOSX backend instead of TkAgg? Or do you have to use TkAgg?
–Michiel.

···

— On Sun, 9/4/11, Lynn Oliver <raycores@…287…> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] problems installing matplotlib on OS X Lion
To: “Bryan K Woods” <bwoods@…3763…>
Cc: “matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.netmatplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Sunday, September 4, 2011, 3:38 AM

I installed macports and the environment settings seem to be correct, but when I try “port help selfupdate” I get:

/opt/local/bin/port: line 4: /usr/bin/tclsh: No such
file or directory

/opt/local/bin/port: line 4: exec: /usr/bin/tclsh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

I removed the installation of Tcl 8.6 and reinstalled ActiveTcl 8.5.10, but still get the same warnings.

ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/_tkagg.so, 2): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.6/Tcl.

I am assuming that your unsuccessful install via macports was after you had macports working; do you know what version of Tcl was installed?

Macports fails with the same warnings after putting a link to tclsh8.5 in /usr/bin/tchsh.

I still seem to be running in
circles.

Lynn

Bryan K. Woods, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist

bwoods@…3763…

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$
brew install pkg-config

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

objc[68962]: Class TKMenu is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is
undefined.

From there, everything is fine until it
executes show(), when I get the following messages:

return self.func(*args)

File
“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 236, in resize

self.show()

File
“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/tkagg.py”, line 19, in blit

TclError

Thanks,

Lynn

Matplotlib-users mailing
list

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Matplotlib-users@…563…eforge.net

What happens if you use the MacOSX backend instead of TkAgg? Or do you have to use TkAgg?
–Michiel.

···

Cc: “matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.netmatplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

file or directory

circles.

Lynn

Bryan K. Woods, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist

bwoods@…3763…

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$
brew install pkg-config

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

objc[68962]: Class TKMenu is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Tk. One of the two will be used. Which one is
undefined.

return self.func(*args)

File
“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py”, line 236, in resize

self.show()

File
“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/tkagg.py”, line 19, in blit

TclError

Thanks,

Lynn

Matplotlib-users mailing
list

Matplotlib-users@…563…eforge.net

I don’t know about changing backends, but I do need to use TkAgg.

I finally got it working. The instructions from the original email below are what worked, but first I had to uninstall Tcl8.6 (manually). The first time I tried it I deleted something that I shouldn’t have, and ended up with a mess that I cleaned up by doing a full erase/reinstall of Lion. Then I restored the system from a backup, carefully removed Tcl8.6 manually (the uninstall script is broken), removed most of the remnants of macports, reinstalled a few things that were broken by the reinstall of Lion (XCode, XQuartz, WingIDE, TextWrangler), uninstalled and reinstalled Python 2.7.2, reinstalled Tcl8.5, and rebuilt matplotlib per the instructions.

Hopefully it will go much smoother when I set up the new system in a few days.

Thanks for your help…

Lynn

···

On Sep 4, 2011, at 12:55 AM, Michiel de Hoon wrote:

–Michiel.

file or directory

circles.

Lynn

Bryan K. Woods, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist

bwoods@…3763…

$ brew install python

$ brew install gfortran

$
brew install pkg-config

$ easy_install pip

$ pip install numpy

$ cd $HOME

$ cd matplotlib

$ python setup.py build

undefined.

return self.func(*args)

File

self.show()

File

TclError

Thanks,

Lynn

Matplotlib-users mailing
list
Matplotlib-users@…1739…ge.net