Problem with TkAgg backend on Windows version of EPD 6.0.0?

Hi everyone,

I would like to develop a Tkinter GUI application for a course that I am teaching this semester that has an embedded matplotlib plot. I was hoping to have this application work with both the Mac OS X and Windows versions of Enthought Python Distribution v. 6.0.0. As a starting point, I was going to try the user interface examples, embedding_in_tk.py and embedding_in_tk2.py, on the matplotlib website. I have changed my default backend from WXAgg to TkAgg in my matplotlibrc file. With the Mac OS X version of EPD 6.0.0, the examples seem to work just fine. However, with the Windows version, I get the following import error:

C:\Documents and Settings\bminch\Desktop>python embedding_in_tk2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "embedding_in_tk2.py", line 6, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg import FigureCanvasTkAgg, NavigationT
oolbar2TkAgg
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_tkagg.py", lin
e 8, in <module>
    import tkagg # Paint image to Tk photo blitter extension
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\tkagg.py", line 1, in
<module>
    import _tkagg
ImportError: No module named _tkagg

C:\Documents and Settings\bminch\Desktop>

The same thing happens when I invoke ipython with the -pylab option, although with a traceback that is a bit longer. At the bottom of it is the same import error, "No module named _tkagg."

Has anyone experienced similar problems with the TkAgg backend under the Windows version of EPD 6.0.0? Can anyone suggest how to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Brad Minch.

It looks like EPD's version of matplotlib wasn't built with the _tkagg extension (it is an optional component). This e-mail thread [1] seems to suggest that it has gone in and out of EPD (though it's supposed to be back in 6.0). Of course, I don't usually run EPD or Windows myself, so I'm completely guessing, and am not trying to point fingers at the hard working guys at Enthought.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/e2g4kubwb7xkgyuo#query:epd%20python%20tkagg+page:1+mid:e2g4kubwb7xkgyuo+state:results

However, you may want to ask this question in an EPD support forum to see what they say.

Mike

Bradley Minch wrote:

···

Hi everyone,

I would like to develop a Tkinter GUI application for a course that I am teaching this semester that has an embedded matplotlib plot. I was hoping to have this application work with both the Mac OS X and Windows versions of Enthought Python Distribution v. 6.0.0. As a starting point, I was going to try the user interface examples, embedding_in_tk.py and embedding_in_tk2.py, on the matplotlib website. I have changed my default backend from WXAgg to TkAgg in my matplotlibrc file. With the Mac OS X version of EPD 6.0.0, the examples seem to work just fine. However, with the Windows version, I get the following import error:

C:\Documents and Settings\bminch\Desktop>python embedding_in_tk2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "embedding_in_tk2.py", line 6, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg import FigureCanvasTkAgg, NavigationT
oolbar2TkAgg
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_tkagg.py", lin
e 8, in <module>
    import tkagg # Paint image to Tk photo blitter extension
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\tkagg.py", line 1, in
<module>
    import _tkagg
ImportError: No module named _tkagg

C:\Documents and Settings\bminch\Desktop>

The same thing happens when I invoke ipython with the -pylab option, although with a traceback that is a bit longer. At the bottom of it is the same import error, "No module named _tkagg."

Has anyone experienced similar problems with the TkAgg backend under the Windows version of EPD 6.0.0? Can anyone suggest how to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Brad Minch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the business
Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term contracts
Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call away.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA