Problem with "projection='3d'"

Forgive me if this is an old question, but I just loaded mplot3d and was attempting to work through a couple of the examples on the Matplotlib website. The problem is that whenever I try to make a call to a function that requires an argument of projection=’3d’ (such as: ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection=‘3d’)), Python gives me the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “<pyshell#12>”, line 1, in

ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection=‘3d’)

File “C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\figure.py”, line 677, in add_subplot

projection_class = get_projection_class(projection)

File “C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\projections_init_.py”, line 61, in get_projection_class

raise ValueError(“Unknown projection ‘%s’” % projection)

ValueError: Unknown projection ‘3d’

Running help on fig.add_subplot does not show ‘3d’ as a valid projection type for this function.

What’s going on, and how do I fix it?

I’m running Python 2.6.6 on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

/s/

Pat

Forgive me if this is an old question, but I just loaded mplot3d and was attempting to work through a couple of the examples on the Matplotlib website. The problem is that whenever I try to make a call to a function that requires an argument of projection=’3d’ (such as: ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')), Python gives me the following error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "<pyshell#12>", line 1, in <module> ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d') File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\figure.py", line 677, in add_subplot projection_class = get_projection_class(projection) File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\projections\__init__.py", line 61, in get_projection_class raise ValueError("Unknown projection '%s'" % projection)ValueError: Unknown projection '3d'

Check the version of matplotlib you have ! , I suspect a <=1.0
HTH
Thom

···

To: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:53:28 -0600
Subject: [Matplotlib-users] Problem with "projection='3d'"

If your version is less than 1.0, the the 3D examples will not work as
is. Instead of gca() with the projection argument, you need to make
an Axes3D object instead.

fig = plt.figure()
ax = Axes3D(fig)

Or something like that (I am working off memory right now).

Ben Root

···

On Friday, January 28, 2011, Thomas Lecocq <thlecocq@...1954...> wrote:

To: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:53:28 -0600
Subject: [Matplotlib-users] Problem with "projection='3d'"

Forgive me if this is an old question, but I just loaded mplot3d and was attempting to work through a couple of the examples on the Matplotlib website. The problem is that whenever I try to make a call to a function that requires an argument of projection=’3d’ (such as: ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')), Python gives me the following error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "<pyshell#12>", line 1, in <module> ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d') File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\figure.py", line 677, in add_subplot projection_class = get_projection_class(projection) File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\projections\__init__.py", line 61, in get_projection_class raise ValueError("Unknown projection '%s'" % projection)ValueError: Unknown projection '3d'

Check the version of matplotlib you have ! , I suspect a <=1.0
HTH
Thom