Problem saving a plot in OSX

I am not able to name plots when saving them from the plot menu in OSX. When I click the save menu item I get the nice OSX save dialog box but I am not able to type in the text field. I can select an existing file which then fills the text field with that name but I am still not able to change the name. At this point I can save the file and it does not overwrite the file as long as it is not a png which is the file type the plot gets saved as.
And the magic fix is ??? :slight_smile:

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@...3029...

my blog |
LinkedIn

Hi Vincent,

I had this problem when I installed python from source code and did not use the --enable-framework flag at the ./configure stage (learned I should have it from some document - but can’t remember if it was in matplotlib doc, on the internet, in a python doc etc).

I then went back and recompiled python with this flag (at configure), but still had some warnings.

So then I built python from the a dmg file from the python website, and everything works great (I don’t think I even needed to rebuild matplot lib).

The enable-framework option is what you need for proper GUI backend support (here I don’t really know what I am talking about, but I think I remember the key jargon) and the OSX save box is part of this GUI interface.

Maybe this is what is causing your problem also.

Andre

···

On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Vincent Davis wrote:

I am not able to name plots when saving them from the plot menu in OSX. When I click the save menu item I get the nice OSX save dialog box but I am not able to type in the text field. I can select an existing file which then fills the text field with that name but I am still not able to change the name. At this point I can save the file and it does not overwrite the file as long as it is not a png which is the file type the plot gets saved as.

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@…3029…

my blog | LinkedIn

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
matplotlib-users List Signup and Options

I had this problem when I installed python from source code and did not use the --enable-framework flag at the ./configure stage (learned I should have it from some document - but can’t remember if it was in matplotlib doc, on the internet, in a python doc etc).
I am using the enthought distribution, I would hope that it was done right but maybe not.

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@...3029...

my blog |
LinkedIn

···

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Andre Walker-Loud <walksloud@…287…> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

I then went back and recompiled python with this flag (at configure), but still had some warnings.

So then I built python from the a dmg file from the python website, and everything works great (I don’t think I even needed to rebuild matplot lib).

The enable-framework option is what you need for proper GUI backend support (here I don’t really know what I am talking about, but I think I remember the key jargon) and the OSX save box is part of this GUI interface.

Andre

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@…3029…

my blog | LinkedIn

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

I am using the enthought distribution, I would hope that it was done right but maybe not.

I am not sure, I am unfamiliar with the enthought distribution.

As a possible temporary “fix”, when I had this problem, I was able to copy and paste the name of a file into the OSX save box from another window/terminal etc, and so could still make new names for the files.

Andre

···

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@…3029…

my blog | LinkedIn

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Andre Walker-Loud <walksloud@…287…> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

Andre

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003

vincent@…3029…

my blog | LinkedIn

Matplotlib-users@…1838…urceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

matplotlib-users List Signup and Options

Then it may be an EPD bug, you might as on the EPD list.

As a possible temporary "fix", when I had this problem, I was able to copy and paste the name of a file into the OSX save box from another window/terminal etc, and so could still make new names for the files.

You also might try a different back-end. I'm not sure what EPD sets as the default but there are sometimes odd Tk issues. EPD should support wxPython (wxAgg), and maybe the macosx back-end.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

I believe EPD's default is wxAgg.

···

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:58:11AM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:

You also might try a different back-end. I'm not sure what EPD sets as
the default but there are sometimes odd Tk issues. EPD should support
wxPython (wxAgg), and maybe the macosx back-end.