possible documentation mistake in errorbar (mpl 1.1.1rc)

I apologize if this has been fixed already, I can only check different versions at home. However, the documentation of mpl 1.3.1. has the same information. So unless the code changed to reflect the documentation, this is still present.

When using errorbar, the documentation says the color of the errorbar lines will match with the color of the markers if ecolor=None. That’s not what I found. Apparently it takes over the color of the Line2D instance which interconnects the markers.

Short, Self Contained, Correct Example:

from pylab import *
plt.ion() # saves typing show
x = np.arange(10)
y = np.random.rand(10)
xerr, yerr = y/4., y/4.
# Markers in red, but errorlines assume the color of the "trendline" (default rcparams: blue).
errorbar(x, y, yerr=yerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor=None) # Errorlines get color green now - documentation not in line with results
figure(); errorbar(x, y, yerr=xerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor=None, color='g')
# Errorlines get color blue now, because it can be specified - expected behaviour
figure(); errorbar(x, y, yerr=xerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor='b', color='g')

Is this an oversight mistake?

I can confirm the inconsistency between behavior and documentation for 1.3.1. The errorbar line gets the color of the line, not the marker. Probably you should file a bug report on github.

-Sterling

···

On Apr 11, 2014, at 7:50AM, Oliver wrote:

I apologize if this has been fixed already, I can only check different versions at home. However, the documentation of mpl 1.3.1. has the same information. So unless the code changed to reflect the documentation, this is still present.

When using errorbar, the documentation says the color of the errorbar lines will match with the color of the markers if ecolor=None. That’s not what I found. Apparently it takes over the color of the Line2D instance which interconnects the markers.

Short, Self Contained, Correct Example:

from pylab import *
plt.ion() # saves typing show

x = np.arange(10)
y = np.random.rand(10)
xerr, yerr = y/4., y/4.

# Markers in red, but errorlines assume the color of the "trendline" (default rcparams: blue).
errorbar(x, y, yerr=yerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor=None)

# Errorlines get color green now - documentation not in line with results

figure(); errorbar(x, y, yerr=xerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor=None, color='g')
# Errorlines get color blue now, because it can be specified - expected behaviour
figure(); errorbar(x, y, yerr=xerr, mfc='r', marker='o', ecolor='b', color='g')

Is this an oversight mistake?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
matplotlib-users List Signup and Options