Plotting problems with matplotlib

Hi,
a short report on 2 minor problems I face with matplotlib:

- I tried to save a figure in gif. It gave me back an error message saying that basically this is not supported. This is fine of course. However, then the plot window crashed, and then the whole Ipython session. It would be useful then to have this error not affecting the session in this way if possible.

- I also noticed recently that when I had a plot made with matplotlib, and changing desktop (I am running under Linux and KDE), when I come back to the panel where my matplotlib session is, the plot is often (but not every time) "perturbed": the figure is zoomed in some corner, or offseted. I am not sure why this occurs, and this could be something specific to my setting, but just to report the problem, if this is a more general item (I have no clue what triggers this since it does not occur systematically, which I understand does not ease the debugging...:slight_smile:

Cheers
Eric
(and thanks for all this hard work. to repeat myself once more, matplotlib is just amazing!)

ยทยทยท

--

Observatoire de Lyon emsellem@...419...
9 av. Charles-Andre tel: +33 4 78 86 83 84
69561 Saint-Genis Laval Cedex fax: +33 4 78 86 83 86
France http://www-obs.univ-lyon1.fr/eric.emsellem

Eric Emsellem wrote:

Hi,
a short report on 2 minor problems I face with matplotlib:

- I tried to save a figure in gif. It gave me back an error message saying that basically this is not supported. This is fine of course. However, then the plot window crashed, and then the whole Ipython session. It would be useful then to have this error not affecting the session in this way if possible.

I can see the problem in the GTK backend, but all other backends I tried under linux (TkAgg, QtAgg and WXAgg) all behave correctly. This seems like a bug in the GTK backend to me: it puts out to the screen an error message box, but the OK button in that box is unresponsive. Eventually the window manager just kills the window, which brings the whole python process down with it.

I don't know the backends enough to know what the right solution should be here.

Cheers,

f