plotting a pcolor over a contourf

I've been trying to plot a pcolor over a contourf with a masked array in the pcolor so that parts of the contour will show through underneath, but whenever I try to do this the pcolor wipes out the contourf. I can do this fine with a contourf over another contourf, but I'm plotting model topography, and I would really prefer to leave the discretization visible instead of showing contourf's interpolation. Any way to get a pcolor to plot over a contourf without wiping out the contourf beneath it?

Jordan

Jordan Dawe wrote:

I've been trying to plot a pcolor over a contourf with a masked array in the pcolor so that parts of the contour will show through underneath, but whenever I try to do this the pcolor wipes out the contourf. I can do this fine with a contourf over another contourf, but I'm plotting model topography, and I would really prefer to leave the discretization visible instead of showing contourf's interpolation. Any way to get a pcolor to plot over a contourf without wiping out the contourf beneath it?

Jordan

Jordan,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do; please provide a simple, self-contained script that illustrates the problem. (Is the contour supposed to be seen through holes in the pcolor where it is masked? Or are you talking about using transparency?)

Eric