plot() hangs up, how to rescue Python?

Hi all,

I’m using matplotlib with the TKAgg on a remote machine running Ubuntu. Normally when I call ‘plot’ I see the plot in an X11 window, but I called ‘plot’ yesterday and Python went unresponsive… it doesn’t listen to ctrl-C or anything, and it’s been more than 24 hours.

I would REALLY like to preserve the data Python has in memory. Is there any way to kill the plot command and wake Python back up?

Thanks,

Anand Patil

Well, I lost it… whatever was hung up apparently gave up and killed Python when I shut down my local machine. It would still be nice to know how to fix this though, in case it happens again…

Thanks,

Anand

···

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Anand Patil <anand.prabhakar.patil@…287…> wrote:

Hi all,

I’m using matplotlib with the TKAgg on a remote machine running Ubuntu. Normally when I call ‘plot’ I see the plot in an X11 window, but I called ‘plot’ yesterday and Python went unresponsive… it doesn’t listen to ctrl-C or anything, and it’s been more than 24 hours.

I would REALLY like to preserve the data Python has in memory. Is there any way to kill the plot command and wake Python back up?

Thanks,

Anand Patil

Sorry this happened -- I don't know how to fix this for future
reference, unfortunately.

JDH

···

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Anand Patil <anand.prabhakar.patil@...287...> wrote:

Well, I lost it... whatever was hung up apparently gave up and killed Python
when I shut down my local machine. It would still be nice to know how to fix
this though, in case it happens again...

OK, no prob – just one of those Linux things I guess.

Anand

···

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@…287…> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Anand Patil > <anand.prabhakar.patil@…287…> wrote:

Well, I lost it… whatever was hung up apparently gave up and killed Python

when I shut down my local machine. It would still be nice to know how to fix

this though, in case it happens again…

Sorry this happened – I don’t know how to fix this for future

reference, unfortunately.

JDH

Like John, I can't think of anything off hand to prevent this in the future. However, if you're working with a script that causes this to happen again, please send us the script. It may indicate an infinite loop or unbounded memory usage, and we'd like to track it down and fix it.

Also, as nice as interactive use is for experimentation, I usually build my important plots (where I'm concerned about losing data etc.) in a script file (.py), and then run that. That way if things do get stuck, I can kill python and start over pretty easily.

Cheers,
Mike

Anand Patil wrote:

···

Hi all,

I'm using matplotlib with the TKAgg on a remote machine running Ubuntu. Normally when I call 'plot' I see the plot in an X11 window, but I called 'plot' yesterday and Python went unresponsive... it doesn't listen to ctrl-C or anything, and it's been more than 24 hours.

Thanks,
Anand Patil
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch