Pasting a filename into save gun

(another topic is why I must do this sometimes in my loops, but not always, but)
When some of my plots get particularly complicated, savefig balks, so I do a try: except: plt.show()
In the gui, I can save, but it’s annoying that I can’t paste the filename (that’s on the console as part of the exception) into the save window.

BA

The GUI just calls savefig so there’s no difference that should cause one to fail and not the other. Since you are trying to get the filename from the exception, I assume it’s something you don’t want to type out and it’s autogenerated from loop parameters. And since you can’t paste it in the dialog, are you sure you haven’t generated a filename with invalid characters?

I have always been able to find a way to break things.
However, my case here is hundreds of loops, and seemingly random failures. I’ll check if I’m coming up with bogus names sometimes, but not beings able to paste characters into the gui at Al ( even if bogus) is a bug.

···

Brad Artman
303 619 8268

On Mar 31, 2023, at 6:33 PM, Elliott Sales de Andrade via Matplotlib nobody@discourse.matplotlib.org wrote:

| QuLogic
April 1 |

• | - |

Brad_Artman:

When some of my plots get particularly complicated, savefig balks, so I do a try: except: plt.show()
In the gui, I can save

The GUI just calls savefig so there’s no difference that should cause one to fail and not the other. Since you are trying to get the filename from the exception, I assume it’s something you don’t want to type out and it’s autogenerated from loop parameters. And since you can’t paste it in the dialog, are you sure you haven’t generated a filename with invalid characters?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Of course that should be paste in the gui at all-

···

Brad Artman
303 619 8268

On Mar 31, 2023, at 8:57 PM, Brad Artman geobartman@gmail.com wrote:

I have always been able to find a way to break things.
However, my case here is hundreds of loops, and seemingly random failures. I’ll check if I’m coming up with bogus names sometimes, but not beings able to paste characters into the gui at Al ( even if bogus) is a bug.

Brad Artman
303 619 8268

On Mar 31, 2023, at 6:33 PM, Elliott Sales de Andrade via Matplotlib nobody@discourse.matplotlib.org wrote:

| QuLogic
April 1 |

• | - |

Brad_Artman:

In the gui, I can save

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The file dialogs are provided by GUI toolkits; if they limit what you can paste, that is their choice. We have not done anything specifically to prevent it.