overriding the save button

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to override the 'save' button in wxAgg so that once a filename has been specified in the dialog, a custom function is run instead of the default savefig? Maybe this would require too much hacking?

Thanks for any advice,

Thomas

You could probably override the matplotlib.backends.backend_wx.NavigationToolbar2.save function. If you are using pylab/pyplot, this function is accessible as

In [3]: fig.canvas.manager.frame.toolbar.save
Out[3]: <bound method NavigationToolbar2WxAgg.save of <matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg.NavigationToolbar2WxAgg; proxy of <Swig Object of type ‘wxToolBar *’ at 0x3b5bc60> >>

and has the signature::

def save(self, evt):

where evt is the GUI event that generated the callback (can safely be ignored).

If you are embedding mpl in wx directly, you can create your own toolbar as in the embedding_in_wx* examples at

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/user_interfaces/index.html

JDH

···

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille@…287…> wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to override the ‘save’ button in

wxAgg so that once a filename has been specified in the dialog, a

custom function is run instead of the default savefig? Maybe this

would require too much hacking?

Hi John,

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure how I should go about overriding the existing method. Say I have the following custom savefig():

def savefig(self, evt):
     print "Hello world"

and a figure() instance fig, how do I actually tell fig.canvas.manager.frame.toolbar.save to actually point to my custom savefig?

Thanks!

Thomas

···

On 28 Apr 2009, at 11:57, John Hunter wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille@...287... > > wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to override the 'save' button in
wxAgg so that once a filename has been specified in the dialog, a
custom function is run instead of the default savefig? Maybe this
would require too much hacking?

You could probably override the matplotlib.backends.backend_wx.NavigationToolbar2.save function. If you are using pylab/pyplot, this function is accessible as

In [3]: fig.canvas.manager.frame.toolbar.save
  Out[3]: <bound method NavigationToolbar2WxAgg.save of <matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg.NavigationToolbar2WxAgg; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'wxToolBar *' at 0x3b5bc60> >>

and has the signature::

def save(self, evt):

where evt is the GUI event that generated the callback (can safely be ignored).

If you are embedding mpl in wx directly, you can create your own toolbar as in the embedding_in_wx* examples at

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/user_interfaces/index.html

JDH

w/o having anything to test handy, the first thing to try is::

fig.canvas.manager.frame.toolbar.save = mysavefg

where mysavefig is the function you define.

JDH

···

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille@…287…> wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks for your help!

I’m not sure how I should go about overriding the existing method. Say I have the following custom savefig():

def savefig(self, evt):

print "Hello world"

and a figure() instance fig, how do I actually tell fig.canvas.manager.frame.toolbar.save to actually point to my custom savefig?