open bugs: too many, too old

After ignoring it for a long time, I took a look at the Sourceforge bug tracker, and closed a couple bugs. Our bug list is a bit embarrassing; there are 52 open ones going back to 2005. Is any of this an artifact of all the reworking going on at SF? Did some closed bugs get reopened by accident? In any case, it would be nice to get the list of open bugs down to a much smaller number, and ensure that the oldest is not very old. I suspect many of the old ones have long since either been fixed or rendered irrelevant by other changes.

For all reading this list: even if you don't have mpl svn commit access, if you can review a bug and propose a fix, or conclude it is obsolete, or provide some other way of moving us towards getting it closed, your effort would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric

This is a great idea, Eric. I don't think this is a SF bug, as I recall having seen this many since I "got here". I've usually just stopped looking before the 0.91 release or so. But you're right -- let's clean this stuff out.

I've cleaned out a few already, but are there any takers for me to assign Mac-specific and Windows-specific bugs? I'm happy to take any Linux-specific ones.

Cheers,
Mike

Eric Firing wrote:

ยทยทยท

After ignoring it for a long time, I took a look at the Sourceforge bug tracker, and closed a couple bugs. Our bug list is a bit embarrassing; there are 52 open ones going back to 2005. Is any of this an artifact of all the reworking going on at SF? Did some closed bugs get reopened by accident? In any case, it would be nice to get the list of open bugs down to a much smaller number, and ensure that the oldest is not very old. I suspect many of the old ones have long since either been fixed or rendered irrelevant by other changes.

For all reading this list: even if you don't have mpl svn commit access, if you can review a bug and propose a fix, or conclude it is obsolete, or provide some other way of moving us towards getting it closed, your effort would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA