Object Module is not callable, traceback

I have a fairly large program that uses pylab and company. I want to use the matplot histogram function. Here are the declarations at the start. I added import matplotlib as mpl
---------------------start
from Tkinter import *
from numpy import *
import numpy
import pylab
import Image
import ImageChops
import ImageTk
import time
import binascii
import tkMessageBox
import tkSimpleDialog
from pylab import plot, xlabel, ylabel, title, show, xticks, bar
import matplotlib as mpl <<<<---------- added

from tkFileDialog import asksaveasfilename
from tkFileDialog import askopenfilename

import MakeQTE

import socket

... 500 lines of code

I've added the follow code in a function
        print "pltx_bins: ", pltx_bins
        print "Off to pylab: ", plt_bins[0:nplt_bins]
        fig = mpl.figure()
        v = array(plt_bins)
        print "v is: ",v
        print "edges --", linspace(0,256,nplt_bins+1)
        mpl.histogram(v, bins=linspace(0,256,nplt_bins+1), normed=1)# matplotlib version (plot)
        mpl.show()
        print "end of histogram output"
        # end of function
-------------------------end
The program dies at fig = figure() with:
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1403, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20090103+hist.py", line 504, in ShowHistogram
    fig = mpl.figure()
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

What's the problem here?

···

--
           Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)

(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
              Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
                                   350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350
                     Make the number famous. See 350.org
            The major event has passed, but keep the number alive.
                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Wayne Watson wrote:

I have a fairly large program that uses pylab and company. I want to use the matplot histogram function. Here are the declarations at the start. I added import matplotlib as mpl
from Tkinter import *
from numpy import *
import numpy
import pylab
import Image
import ImageChops
import ImageTk
import time
import binascii
import tkMessageBox
import tkSimpleDialog

import MakeQTE

import socket

... 500 lines of code

fig = mpl.figure()
        v = array(plt_bins)
        mpl.histogram(v, bins=linspace(0,256,nplt_bins+1), normed=1)# matplotlib version (plot)
        mpl.show()
        # end of function
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20090103+hist.py", line 504, in ShowHistogram
    fig = mpl.figure()

What's the problem here?

figure(), show(), etc. are pylab (or matplotlib.pyplot) functions, not matplotlib functions.

Especially for a long program, it is strongly recommended that you not use "from numpy import *". The recommended form is

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

It will help you keep a clear picture of where various types of functionality are coming from. See also http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/usage_faq.html
and note that a primarily object-oriented approach is recommended for use in other than quick scripts and interactive plotting.

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

Wayne Watson wrote:

from Tkinter import *
from numpy import *
import numpy
import pylab
import Image
import ImageChops
import ImageTk
import time
import binascii
import tkMessageBox
import tkSimpleDialog

import MakeQTE

import socket

... 500 lines of code

fig = mpl.figure()
        v = array(plt_bins)
        mpl.show()
        # end of function
    return self.func(*args)
    fig = mpl.figure()

What's the problem here?

figure(), show(), etc. are pylab (or matplotlib.pyplot) functions, not matplotlib functions.

Especially for a long program, it is strongly recommended that you not use "from numpy import *". The recommended form is

import numpy as np

It will help you keep a clear picture of where various types of functionality are coming from. See also http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/usage_faq.html
and note that a primarily object-oriented approach is recommended for use in other than quick scripts and interactive plotting.

Eric

Thanks. Well, that explains a lot! functions in the wrong place.

I'm pretty new to this stuff, so what belongs where is sometimes unclear. I'll check out the sourceforge tip. I didn't write the program. I'm just trying to add some features. Changing the import for matplotlib got the graphics window up.

When I ran it, it was followed by this traceback:
------------start
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20090103+hist.py", line 508, in ShowHistogram
    plt.histogram(v, bins=linspace(0,256,nplt_bins+1), normed=1)# matplotlib version (plot)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'histogram'
---------------end
508 line is the histogram. Who's complaining? ShowHistogram? I don't believe I should be using hist here instead of histogram.

Off to sourceforge.

···

--

The popular press and many authorities believe the number
          of pedifiles that prowl the web is 50,00. There are no
          figures that support this. The number of children below
          18 years of age kidnapped by strangers is 1 in 600,00,
          or 115 per year. -- The Science of Fear by D. Gardner

Wayne Watson wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

Wayne Watson wrote:

from Tkinter import *
from numpy import *
import numpy
import pylab
import Image
import ImageChops
import ImageTk
import time
import binascii
import tkMessageBox
import tkSimpleDialog

import MakeQTE

import socket

... 500 lines of code

fig = mpl.figure()
        v = array(plt_bins)
        mpl.show()
        # end of function
    return self.func(*args)
    fig = mpl.figure()

What's the problem here?

import numpy as np

Eric

Thanks. Well, that explains a lot! functions in the wrong place.

I'm pretty new to this stuff, so what belongs where is sometimes unclear. I'll check out the sourceforge tip. I didn't write the program. I'm just trying to add some features. Changing the import for matplotlib got the graphics window up.

------------start
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20090103+hist.py", line 508, in ShowHistogram
    plt.histogram(v, bins=linspace(0,256,nplt_bins+1), normed=1)# matplotlib version (plot)
---------------end
508 line is the histogram. Who's complaining? ShowHistogram? I don't believe I should be using hist here instead of histogram.

histogram is a numpy function, not a pyplot function. Pyplot has a hist which uses numpy.histogram to do the calculation, and then plots it. It does look like plt.hist is what was intended in your code.

For tracking down such things, there is no substitute for working interactively with ipython. If you are not already familiar with it, taking a little time to get it running and learn the basics (like tab completion and appending ? or ?? to function names to get docstrings + origins, and source code, respectively) will pay big dividends.

Eric

···

Off to sourceforge.

Eric Firing wrote:

------------start
    return self.func(*args)
---------------end

histogram is a numpy function, not a pyplot function. Pyplot has a hist which uses numpy.histogram to do the calculation, and then plots it. It does look like plt.hist is what was intended in your code.

For tracking down such things, there is no substitute for working interactively with ipython. If you are not already familiar with it, taking a little time to get it running and learn the basics (like tab completion and appending ? or ?? to function names to get docstrings + origins, and source code, respectively) will pay big dividends.

Eric

These dependencies sure are tricky. I changed it to plt:hist, and that got me a histogram plot. I think some of my parameters need work, but it's close to what I expected. When I closed the graph and finally the program, the shell (IDLE) did not provide a >> prompt, nor did it produce my print of "End of Histogram" that followed plt.hist. Closing the shell revealed something was still running. I may have to go to the console for execution to see what that's about.

I've heard of ipython. It looks like I should give it a try. Examples for matplotlib abound, but not much about how MATLAB concepts like figure shows up anywhere. Is that all in pylab docs?

···

--

The popular press and many authorities believe the number
          of pedifiles that prowl the web is 50,00. There are no
          figures that support this. The number of children below
          18 years of age kidnapped by strangers is 1 in 600,00,
          or 115 per year. -- The Science of Fear by D. Gardner

Wayne Watson wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

------------start
    return self.func(*args)
---------------end

Eric

These dependencies sure are tricky. I changed it to plt:hist, and that got me a histogram plot. I think some of my parameters need work, but it's close to what I expected. When I closed the graph and finally the program, the shell (IDLE) did not provide a >> prompt, nor did it produce my print of "End of Histogram" that followed plt.hist. Closing the shell revealed something was still running. I may have to go to the console for execution to see what that's about.

That is what ipython is for (among other things): it handles interactive plotting, which tends to be a problem with other shells and environments. It also gives nice access to the pdb debugger to help you figure out what actually went wrong when you get an exception.

I've heard of ipython. It looks like I should give it a try. Examples for matplotlib abound, but not much about how MATLAB concepts like figure shows up anywhere. Is that all in pylab docs?

Yes. If you are coming from Matlab, you may find this useful for the numeric aspects: http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users.

Eric