numpy indexing changes

This is just a heads-up: some indexing changes in the numpy 1.9rc break matplotlib, as revealed in the mpl tests; there is a discussion on the numpy-discussion list about what to do about it. It looks like they will back off on the changes and put in deprecations, giving us time to modify mpl. I don't think the required modifications will be extensive, intrusive, or difficult in the least.

Somewhat related, I have been noticing warnings in the tests coming from some masked array usage, and maybe other things. It would be nice to get everything cleaned up, and see the tests fly by with no warnings. I don't have time to work on it now, though. If you have been thinking you would like to help out, but haven't taken the plunge yet, this would be a good way to get started.

Eric

Yes, and please do test the numpy betas/RCs - we’re trying to do a better job at not breaking downstreams on every release, but it’s easy for us to miss breakages, or to think we’ve fixed something in the second beta but be wrong about this. If you notice anything broken by the betas then please at least let us know (even if the code is easy to fix on tour end), and when doing so please use the magic word “regression” so that we can assign it appropriate priority.

-n

···

On 10 Jun 2014 19:07, “Eric Firing” <efiring@…229…> wrote:

This is just a heads-up: some indexing changes in the numpy 1.9rc break
matplotlib, as revealed in the mpl tests; there is a discussion on the
numpy-discussion list about what to do about it. It looks like they
will back off on the changes and put in deprecations, giving us time to
modify mpl.