Newbie trying to get matplotlib up and running on Mac mini.....

Hi,
I have a Mac mini with Intel Duo processors. I downloaded and installed python, numpy, and scipy on my machine. I downloaded already built binaries from the website http://www.scipy.org/Download

The file I downloaded was ScipySuperpack-Intel-10.4-py2.4
matplotlib was a part of that package.

This is what I get when I launch python, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib.

adsl-69-154-179-12:~ seismic73$ python
ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 11 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr 3 2006, 18:07:14)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)] on darwin
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

from numpy import *
from scipy import *
from pylab import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in ?
File
“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py”, line 1, in ?
from matplotlib.pylab import *
ImportError: No module named matplotlib.pylab

Any thoughts as to what I’ve done wrong? Do I have to build matplotlib myself? I am intimidated about doing that…

Please help!

Thanks!

Jon

Jonathan Kane wrote:

Hi,
   I have a Mac mini with Intel Duo processors. I downloaded and
installed python, numpy, and scipy on my machine. I downloaded already
built binaries from the website http://www.scipy.org/Download

The file I downloaded was ScipySuperpack-Intel-10.4-py2.4
matplotlib was a part of that package.

This is what I get when I launch python, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib.

adsl-69-154-179-12:~ seismic73$ python
ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 11 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr 3 2006, 18:07:14)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

from numpy import *
from scipy import *
from pylab import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py",
line 1, in ?
    from matplotlib.pylab import *
ImportError: No module named matplotlib.pylab

Hrmm. Unfortunately, the matplotlib package in (at least) the Intel version is
still missing matplotlib/__init__.py. You can download the file from here:

http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/checkout/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/init.py?revision=2835

Put it in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/

···

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco

Jonathan Kane wrote:

The file I downloaded was ScipySuperpack-Intel-10.4-py2.4
matplotlib was a part of that package.

Who built/maintains that package? Anyone know what back-ends it supports?

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Christopher Barker wrote:

Jonathan Kane wrote:

The file I downloaded was ScipySuperpack-Intel-10.4-py2.4
matplotlib was a part of that package.

Who built/maintains that package?

Chris Fonnesbeck. http://trichech.us/?page_id=4

Anyone know what back-ends it supports?

I only see _ns_backend_agg.so and _tkagg.so so I imagine it only support TkAgg
for the GUI (and possibly whatever backends that don't require extension modules).

···

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco

Robert Kern wrote:

Who built/maintains that package?

Chris Fonnesbeck. http://trichech.us/?page_id=4

I only see _ns_backend_agg.so and _tkagg.so so I imagine it only support TkAgg
for the GUI (and possibly whatever backends that don't require extension modules).

That explains why I haven't leaped on it -- I need wx.

Maybe I'll see if I can help him get set up to build wxAgg also, and we'll have our cake and be able to eat it too...

Thanks,
-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...