New user's question --- first run --- everything seems fine, got error msgs.

Dear all,

I’m an astronomy major college student in Beijing who recently switched to Python for most of his homework in numeric analysis and data visualization (and really loving Python). I run Python 2.5 with NumPy, SciPy and matplotlib on a Fedora 7 Linux system. The matplotlib on my computer was build from source but most of the required dependecies (incl. wxPython, gtk2-devel things, etc.) were installed from the “official” Fedora repository via yum. During compilation of matplotlib I set the BUILD_WXAGG variable to 1 and left everything else untouched.

The compilation was smooth but the first test run seems not. After invoking ipython with -pylab parameter I received the warning (and welcome) messages:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py:709: DeprecationWarning: The wxPython compatibility package is no longer automatically generated or actively maintained. Please switch to the wx package as soon as possible.

import wxPython.wx as wx
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Apr 10 2007, 10:29:13)
Type “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

IPython 0.7.2 – An enhanced Interactive Python.

? -> Introduction to IPython’s features.
%magic -> Information about IPython’s ‘magic’ % functions.
help -> Python’s own help system.
object? -> Details about ‘object’. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
For more information, type ‘help(pylab)’.

I don’t understand what was said by the Deprecation Warning message. The wxPython on my computer is up-to-date.

Then I threw a test command to ipython and things seem to be wrong again. A typical session goes like this:

In [1]: # This is just a test plot. It generates a figure in the GUI with some warning message.

In [2]: plot([1, 3, 8, 0])

** (python:15301): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030

Out[2]: [<matplotlib.lines.Line2D instance at 0x971648c>]

In [3]:

The correct figure was generated in a GUI but error messages pop up whenever “plot” is used.

Currently I’ve got no idea about either warning message. They certainly told me something but I can’t even make sure whether there are things going wrong! shrug So any hints?

Thanks in advance

Cong.

I'm an astronomy major college student in Beijing who recently switched to Python for most of his homework in numeric analysis and data visualization (and really loving Python). I run Python 2.5 with NumPy, SciPy and matplotlib on a Fedora 7 Linux system. The matplotlib on my computer was build from source but most of the required dependecies (incl. wxPython, gtk2-devel things, etc.) were installed from the "official" Fedora repository via yum. During compilation of matplotlib I set the BUILD_WXAGG variable to 1 and left everything else untouched.

The compilation was smooth but the first test run seems not. After invoking ipython with -pylab parameter I received the warning (and welcome) messages:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py:709: DeprecationWarning: The wxPython compatibility package is no longer automatically generated or actively maintained. Please switch to the wx package as soon as possible.
import wxPython.wx as wx

This is actually coming from ipython, not matplotlib. This indicates that version of ipython you have installed was written for an earlier version of wxPython. It may still work despite this warning. (Maybe an ipython expert can comment on that.) The current release of ipython (0.8.1) has been updated and does not present this warning with the current release of wxPython (2.8.4.0).

If both your ipython and wxPython are from official Fedora packages, that's a version mismatch, and should probably be reported as a packaging bug to Fedora. You may want to upgrade ipython if you can do so easily.

Then I threw a test command to ipython and things seem to be wrong again. A typical session goes like this:

In [1]: # This is just a test plot. It generates a figure in the GUI with some warning message.

In [2]: plot([1, 3, 8, 0])

That's very strange. AFAIK, IPP is "Internet Printing Protocol", and this message usually comes from CUPS or something. My best guess is that when wxPython initializes its first window, it also initializes the wxWidgets printing stuff, and there's something underlying that that is broken on your system. (Only a guess). Again, it's possible that things could continue normally despite this warning.

I would look into your printer configuration to see if these messages can be eliminated.

The correct figure was generated in a GUI but error messages pop up whenever "plot" is used.

What are the error messages? (Or do you just mean the ones above?)

Currently I've got no idea about either warning message. They certainly told me something but I can't even make sure whether there are things going wrong! *shrug* So any hints?

Thanks in advance

I think if the plots being generated are okay, both of these warnings could be benign, though annoying.

Cheers,
Mike

···

frigoris.ma@...287... wrote: