mplot3d: disable z-sorting?

I've been running into the well known rendering problems with mplot3d's bar3d function. After two days of trying to get acceptable results without success: Is it possible to simply disable z-sorting (whoops)?

I want to generate static plots from experimental data, all using the same perspective, so I know the order of the bars to be plotted. It's a no-brainer to provide the data vectors in this appropriate order, which I tried too - didn't work. Even if I provide explicit zorders for all Poly3dCollections in axes.collections (single-plotting each bar), everything gets messed up after showing the plot window.

So is there any way to create the bars just in the order of the data vectors passed to bar3d (or keep the order/zorder in axes.collections)?

- Sebastian Voigt -

There are well-known rendering issues with mplot3d in general, but I am not aware of one with respect to bar3d. Can you please include a image of the rendering defect that you are seeing?

And no, there is no way to disable z-sorting that I am aware of because it is inherent in matplotlib’s system. mplot3d merely utilizes the drawing facilities that matplotlib provides.

Ben Root

···

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Sebastian Voigt <svoigt@…380…> wrote:

I’ve been running into the well known rendering problems with mplot3d’s

bar3d function. After two days of trying to get acceptable results

without success: Is it possible to simply disable z-sorting (whoops)?

I want to generate static plots from experimental data, all using the

same perspective, so I know the order of the bars to be plotted. It’s a

no-brainer to provide the data vectors in this appropriate order, which

I tried too - didn’t work. Even if I provide explicit zorders for all

Poly3dCollections in axes.collections (single-plotting each bar),

everything gets messed up after showing the plot window.

So is there any way to create the bars just in the order of the data

vectors passed to bar3d (or keep the order/zorder in axes.collections)?

- Sebastian Voigt -