MPL/Pylab install woes

I’m having some problems installing matplotlib (actually PyLab, see below). Googling has revealed nothing, perhaps someone might recognise these symptoms.

The technical set up: OSX 10.4, MPL 0.87.4, numeric, numarray and numpy installed.

While I’ve successfully installed and used MPL before, this is a new MacBook and so it’s the first time it’s been installed here. (Caveat: MPL may have been installed silently in an egg or a package that I used to install another package, like a SciPy distribution.) I built and installed MPL as usual. this appears to be fine and import matplotlib works ok. However the problem comes when I go to import pylab. Initially it complains that it cannot import pylab because it fails on line 74 of matplotlib/numerix/__init__.py where Matrix = matrix.

Investigation showed that just above that position, numpy was being used as the numerical library and the import was thus:

import numpy.oldnumeric as numpy

from numpy.oldnumeric import *

However, oldnumeric doesn’t define a term “matrix”. Setting MPL to use Numeric instead of Numpy, this step is passed but I run into the next error, also at the “import pylab” stage:

21:15:23: Debug: …/src/common/object.cpp(224): assert “sm_classTable->Get(m_className) == NULL” failed: class already in RTTI table - have you used IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS() twice (may be by linking some object module(s) twice)?

…/src/common/object.cpp(224): assert “sm_classTable->Get(m_className) == NULL” failed: class already in RTTI table - have you used IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS() twice (may be by linking some object module(s) twice)?

Initially I thought that this may have been the result of old settings hanging around, but I cleaned all vestigaes of MPL & PyLab from my system and got a fresh copy of the MPL source, before trying again. Same result.

Any ideas on where I should look next? Apart from a downgrade, I’m at a loss.

p

···

Dr Paul-Michael Agapow, VieDigitale / Institute of Animal Health

pma@…1244… / paul-michael.agapow@…1246…5…

mmh, you didn't check the mailing list before, did you :wink:
You didn't precise the version of numpy you were using, I gonna guess that
it's at least 1.0b1, right ? MPL 0.87.4 is NOT compatible with this version
of numpy. However, the svn version of matplotlib is, and works quite well.
Please upgrade MPL, or wait a couple of days for the crew to release 0.87.5.

···

On Monday 04 September 2006 05:20, Paul-Michael Agapow wrote:

I'm having some problems installing matplotlib (actually PyLab, see
below). Googling has revealed nothing, perhaps someone might
recognise these symptoms.