mpl installation / pkgconfig problem

Greetings, I have tried installing matplotlib from source, and also from debian packages, and get the same error:

import pylab

No module named pygtk

PyGTK version 1.99.16 or greater is required to run the GTK Matplotlib backends

After sucessfully installing glib and atk using checkinstall, I tried installing pygtk:

./configure

… lots of output…

… …

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0… yes (version 2.6.3) <— (so checkinstall works)

checking for atk >= 1.0.0… Package atk was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `atk.pc’ to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package ‘atk’ found <— ?

configure: error: maybe you want the pygtk-2-2 branch?

atk is installed and registered under dpkg -l, and after running updatedb, atk.pc was found in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/atk.pc but is not picked up by pkgconfig (same error as above).

I temporarily set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig followed by ./configure and got exactly the same error as above (!*??!@!!!)

pkg-config 0.15.0-4 is registered as a package, but I haven’t got a clue what it does or how to use it.

Help, I need to get away from windows!

Any advice?

appreciations in advance

Michael Nandris

···

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

Hi Michael,

I'd the same kind of error installing pygtk on my Mandriva 10.2 (I'm a happy new linux user :slight_smile: )
The error occured checking Glib, and I had to specify the path of the .pc file manually by doing (I'm using bash):

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/

where the file pygtk.pc was (it previously looked in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/)...
That solved the problem, I don't know if it can help you there, looks like you tried already, but it seemed to me it is a very similar problem...

Henry

Michael Nandris a �crit :

···

Greetings, I have tried installing matplotlib from source, and also from debian packages, and get the same error:

>>> import pylab

No module named pygtk

PyGTK version 1.99.16 or greater is required to run the GTK Matplotlib backends

After sucessfully installing glib and atk using checkinstall, I tried installing pygtk:

./configure

.... lots of output...

... ...

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... yes (version 2.6.3) <--- (so checkinstall works)

checking for atk >= 1.0.0... Package atk was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `atk.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'atk' found <--- ?

configure: error: maybe you want the pygtk-2-2 branch?

atk is installed and registered under dpkg -l, and after running updatedb, atk.pc was found in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/atk.pc but is not picked up by pkgconfig (same error as above).

I temporarily set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig followed by ./configure and got exactly the same error as above (!*??!@!!!)

pkg-config 0.15.0-4 is registered as a package, but I haven't got a clue what it does or how to use it.

Help, I need to get away from windows!

Any advice?

appreciations in advance

Michael Nandris

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34442/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs&gt;

--

Henry Proudhon
Postdoc Fellow
Materials Engineering
The University of British Columbia
309-3650 Stores Road
V6T-1Z4 Vancouver B.C. (Canada)