movie_demo/mencoder question

This is not strictly speaking a matplotlib question, but I have been trying to get the movie_demo.py file working on
a windows box using the os.system command with mencoder.

I'm curious if anyone has gotten this to work with vcodec=mpeg4 so that the subsequent video can be opened with Window Media player.
I have spent all day searching the web and playing with stuff. I have gotten readable output with wmv2 and mpeg1video. That's it.

If you have had some success can you please contact me and I'll ask you some questions off the list.

thanks,
Danny

The problem is that nearly all of the video codecs are proprietary, and encoding, in particular, usually incurs money changing hands somewhere. Some distributions (Debian) therefore are philosophically unable to include much in the way of movie tools, and others go through hoops to avoid incurring the wrath of the lawyers. I've recently heard that ffmpeg works pretty well. After spending many frustrating hours trying to get something to work, I've decided for now that using QuickTime Pro is what I'll use ($30 for Windows or Mac version). It can generate AVIs (limited number of codecs, at least on Macs), MOVs, and MPEG-4s from image sequences, and It Just Works. Good luck, and let us know if you find anything that works well in linux.

Cheers!
Andrew

ยทยทยท

On Jun 21, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Danny Shevitz wrote:

This is not strictly speaking a matplotlib question, but I have been trying to get the movie_demo.py file working on
a windows box using the os.system command with mencoder.

I'm curious if anyone has gotten this to work with vcodec=mpeg4 so that the subsequent video can be opened with Window Media player.
I have spent all day searching the web and playing with stuff. I have gotten readable output with wmv2 and mpeg1video. That's it.

If you have had some success can you please contact me and I'll ask you some questions off the list.

thanks,
Danny

-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click