modification of update_path_extents?

Mike,

A bug was recently pointed out: axhline, axvline, axhspan, axvspan mess up the ax.dataLim. I committed a quick fix for axhline and axvline, but I don't think that what I did is a good solution, so before doing anything for axhspan and axvspan I want to arrive at a better strategy.

What is needed is a clean way to specify that only the x or the y part of ax.dataLim be updated when a line or patch (or potentially anything else) is added. This is specifically for the case, as in *line, where one axis is in data coordinates and the other is in normalized coordinates--we don't want the latter to have any effect on the dataLim.

This could be done in python in any of a variety of ways, but I suspect that to be most consistent with the way the transforms code is now written, relying on update_path_extends from _path.cpp, it might make sense to append two boolean arguments to that cpp function, "update_x" and "update_y", and use kwargs in Bbox.update_from_path and siblings to set these, with default values of True.

What do you think? If you agree to the _path.cpp change strategy, do you prefer to do that yourself, or would you rather that I try it first?

Any suggestions and/or contributions are welcome.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

Mike,

A bug was recently pointed out: axhline, axvline, axhspan, axvspan mess up the ax.dataLim. I committed a quick fix for axhline and axvline, but I don't think that what I did is a good solution, so before doing anything for axhspan and axvspan I want to arrive at a better strategy.

What is needed is a clean way to specify that only the x or the y part of ax.dataLim be updated when a line or patch (or potentially anything else) is added. This is specifically for the case, as in *line, where one axis is in data coordinates and the other is in normalized coordinates--we don't want the latter to have any effect on the dataLim.

This could be done in python in any of a variety of ways, but I suspect that to be most consistent with the way the transforms code is now written, relying on update_path_extends from _path.cpp, it might make sense to append two boolean arguments to that cpp function, "update_x" and "update_y", and use kwargs in Bbox.update_from_path and siblings to set these, with default values of True.

It seems we could do this without touching C at all. Just change update_from_path so it only updates certain coordinates in the bounding box based on the kwargs you propose. Sure, the C side will be keeping track of y bounds even when it doesn't have to, but I doubt that matters much compared to checking a flag in the inner loop. It will compute the bezier curves for both x and y anyway (without digging into Agg). It's hard to really estimate the performance impact, so I'm necessarily pushing for either option, but it may save having to update the C.

What do you think? If you agree to the _path.cpp change strategy, do you prefer to do that yourself, or would you rather that I try it first?

I probably won't have a chance to look at this today, so go ahead if you like. I'll shoot you a note later in the week if I have time...

Cheers,
Mike

···

Any suggestions and/or contributions are welcome.

Thanks.

Eric

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Michael Droettboom wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

Mike,

It seems we could do this without touching C at all. Just change update_from_path so it only updates certain coordinates in the bounding box based on the kwargs you propose. Sure, the C side will be keeping track of y bounds even when it doesn't have to, but I doubt that matters much compared to checking a flag in the inner loop. It will compute the bezier curves for both x and y anyway (without digging into Agg). It's hard to really estimate the performance impact, so I'm necessarily pushing for either option, but it may save having to update the C.

Mike,

I was somehow thinking that update_path_extents was changing things in place--completely wrong. So yes, it is trivial to make the change at the python level, and that is definitely the place to do it. I will try to take care of it this evening.

In poking around, however, I came up with a couple of questions. Neither is a blocker for what I need to do, but each might deserve a comment in the code, if nothing else.

1) in _path.cpp:

void get_path_extents(PathIterator& path, const agg::trans_affine& trans,
                       double* x0, double* y0, double* x1, double* y1,
                       double* xm, double* ym)
{
     typedef agg::conv_transform<PathIterator> transformed_path_t;
     typedef agg::conv_curve<transformed_path_t> curve_t;
     double x, y;
     unsigned code;

transformed_path_t tpath(path, trans);
     curve_t curved_path(tpath);

curved_path.rewind(0);

while ((code = curved_path.vertex(&x, &y)) != agg::path_cmd_stop)
     {
         if ((code & agg::path_cmd_end_poly) == agg::path_cmd_end_poly)
             continue;
         /* if (MPL_notisfinite64(x) || MPL_notisfinite64(y))
             continue;
            We should not need the above, because the path iterator
            should already be filtering out invalid values.
         */
         if (x < *x0) *x0 = x;
         if (y < *y0) *y0 = y;
         if (x > *x1) *x1 = x;
         if (y > *y1) *y1 = y;
         if (x > 0.0 && x < *xm) *xm = x;
         if (y > 0.0 && y < *ym) *ym = y;
     }
}

In the last 2 lines, why are xm and ym being clipped at 0, when x0 and y0 are not?

2) It looks like update_path_extents throws away orientation by always returning x0 and y0 as the minima. Bbox.update_from_path is therefore doing the same. This doesn't hurt in present usage, since orientation is not needed for dataLim, but it seems a bit surprising, and worth a comment at least. Am I again missing something obvious?

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

Michael Droettboom wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

Mike,

Mike,

I was somehow thinking that update_path_extents was changing things in place--completely wrong. So yes, it is trivial to make the change at the python level, and that is definitely the place to do it. I will try to take care of it this evening.

In poking around, however, I came up with a couple of questions. Neither is a blocker for what I need to do, but each might deserve a comment in the code, if nothing else.

1) in _path.cpp:

void get_path_extents(PathIterator& path, const agg::trans_affine& trans,
                      double* x0, double* y0, double* x1, double* y1,
                      double* xm, double* ym)
{
    typedef agg::conv_transform<PathIterator> transformed_path_t;
    typedef agg::conv_curve<transformed_path_t> curve_t;
    double x, y;
    unsigned code;

transformed_path_t tpath(path, trans);
    curve_t curved_path(tpath);

curved_path.rewind(0);

while ((code = curved_path.vertex(&x, &y)) != agg::path_cmd_stop)
    {
        if ((code & agg::path_cmd_end_poly) == agg::path_cmd_end_poly)
            continue;
        /* if (MPL_notisfinite64(x) || MPL_notisfinite64(y))
            continue;
           We should not need the above, because the path iterator
           should already be filtering out invalid values.
        */
        if (x < *x0) *x0 = x;
        if (y < *y0) *y0 = y;
        if (x > *x1) *x1 = x;
        if (y > *y1) *y1 = y;
    }
}

In the last 2 lines, why are xm and ym being clipped at 0, when x0 and y0 are not?

xm and ym are the minimum positive values, used for log scales. Definitely worth a comment.

2) It looks like update_path_extents throws away orientation by always returning x0 and y0 as the minima. Bbox.update_from_path is therefore doing the same. This doesn't hurt in present usage, since orientation is not needed for dataLim, but it seems a bit surprising, and worth a comment at least. Am I again missing something obvious?

I think I'm missing something. (Choices in my code are always obvious to *me*, and any mistakes are invisible... :wink: Are you suggesting that if a line has x decreasing then x0 > x1? What if it boomerangs? I think it's simplest to keep data limits in a consistent order. View limits are another issue, of course.

Mike

···

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

}
}

xm and ym are the minimum positive values, used for log scales. Definitely worth a comment.

I will add one.

I think I'm missing something. (Choices in my code are always obvious to *me*, and any mistakes are invisible... :wink: Are you suggesting that if a line has x decreasing then x0 > x1? What if it boomerangs? I think it's simplest to keep data limits in a consistent order. View limits are another issue, of course.

I think I will add a comment. The only "problem" at present is that update_from_path, taken as a perfectly general Bbox method, is doing a bit more than is obvious from its name or even from the code, and this places at least a theoretical restriction on its potential use. For example, if someone looked at the method and thought he or she could use it to directly update a viewLim, the result would not be as expected.

Eric

···

Mike