minor fixes to backend_ps

None, I looked at the generated PS file out of curiosity

    > and noticed that it does not follow the DSC conventions
    > very well. As this is just shuffling around comments it
    > will probably not affect many applications.

Are there other noncompliant things in the matplotlib ps output that
you are aware of, other than those you already fixed?

JDH

Hello John,

    > None, I looked at the generated PS file out of curiosity
    > and noticed that it does not follow the DSC conventions
    > very well. As this is just shuffling around comments it
    > will probably not affect many applications.

Are there other noncompliant things in the matplotlib ps output that
you are aware of, other than those you already fixed?

I think the horrible ones are fixed by now.

Minor issues:

The DSC spec states (at page 18): "If there is a section in
the document that corresponds to a particular comment, that comment
*must* be used to identify that section of the document."

From reading this I would guess that all the "/something { ... } bind
def" statements and the included fonts should be inside a

    %%BeginPrologue
    %%EndPrologue

block. But I didn't check this properly.

Then page 19 "strongly suggests" to use some headers like
"%%CreationDate" and "%%Title".

Page 70 of the SDC specification states that "%%BeginFont" and
"%%EndFont" are outdated and should be replaced by "%%BeginResource"
and "%%EndResource" statements.

All the best,
Jochen

···

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:00:48AM -0500, John Hunter wrote:
--
http://seehuhn.de/

Jochen Voss wrote:

Hello John,

"Jochen" == Jochen Voss <voss@...7...> writes:
             

   > None, I looked at the generated PS file out of curiosity
   > and noticed that it does not follow the DSC conventions
   > very well. As this is just shuffling around comments it
   > will probably not affect many applications.

Are there other noncompliant things in the matplotlib ps output that
you are aware of, other than those you already fixed?
   

I think the horrible ones are fixed by now.

Minor issues:

The DSC spec states (at page 18): "If there is a section in
the document that corresponds to a particular comment, that comment
*must* be used to identify that section of the document."

From reading this I would guess that all the "/something { ... } bind
def" statements and the included fonts should be inside a

   %%BeginPrologue
   %%EndPrologue

block. But I didn't check this properly.

Then page 19 "strongly suggests" to use some headers like
"%%CreationDate" and "%%Title".

Page 70 of the SDC specification states that "%%BeginFont" and
"%%EndFont" are outdated and should be replaced by "%%BeginResource"
and "%%EndResource" statements.

It would be nice if they would update their documents, since the %%BeginFont and %%EndFont keywords are from their document about embedding fonts.

-- Paul

···

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:00:48AM -0500, John Hunter wrote:

--
Paul Barrett, PhD Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475 ESS/Science Software Branch
FAX: 410-338-4767 Baltimore, MD 21218