[Matplotlib-users] hanging after import of pyplot

Hi all,

I’ve had this strange behavior occur, now for the second time, that I’m hoping someone can help me diagnose. What happens is that if I import pyplot, e.g. like
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

the prompt becomes completely unresponsive. I can’t even get out of it by ctrl-C or ctrl-Z. I have to actually kill the process. This happens in all my environments (which includes python 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7 and anaconda 2 and anaconda 3). Last time this happened it resolved itself somehow by itself.
Because it happens with different versions of python, ipython, and matplotlib, I’m thinking that it must have to do with the backend. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

···

Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division
Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian
Office: (617) 496-7981 | Cell: (781) 363-0035
60 Garden Street | MS 83 | Cambridge, MA 02138

If you do

import matplotlib
print(matplotlib.version)
print(matplotlib.get_backend())

what do you get?

Are you using IPython or the plain python prompt? Does doing %matplotlib before importing pyplot help? What OS? What terminal emulator? Does using matplotlib.use('agg') (no GUI, but should import) or matplotlib.use('tkagg') before you import pyplot change anything? Have you used pip install --user or sudo pip install ?

That this happens across all your environments on the same machine is a bit confusing as even if it were related to the backend the GUI toolkits should be sufficiently self-contained to the environment to not affect each other.

Tom

···

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin@cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve had this strange behavior occur, now for the second time, that I’m hoping someone can help me diagnose. What happens is that if I import pyplot, e.g. like
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

the prompt becomes completely unresponsive. I can’t even get out of it by ctrl-C or ctrl-Z. I have to actually kill the process. This happens in all my environments (which includes python 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7 and anaconda 2 and anaconda 3). Last time this happened it resolved itself somehow by itself.
Because it happens with different versions of python, ipython, and matplotlib, I’m thinking that it must have to do with the backend. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division
Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian
Office: (617) 496-7981 | Cell: (781) 363-0035
60 Garden Street | MS 83 | Cambridge, MA 02138

Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@python.org
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell@gmail.com