Matplotlib recipe for categorical scatter plot?

Matplotlib recipe for categorical scatter plot?

Hi –

I’m trying to create a scatter plot that represents a matrix cross-referencing two categorical lists. For example, given the following:

Joe San Francisco

Sam Seattle

Frank New York

Frank Boston

Frank Miami

Andrew Miami

I would like a scatter plot with names on one axis and cities on the other, with a plot mark at the axis intersections where there is a match. Is there a way to map directly from such categories to matplotlib datasets, or do I first need to map this to a numerical indexing scheme and then visualize it? Is there a simple way to at least have the categories used as value labels on the axes?

I’m new to matplotlib, so if this turns out to be a poor fit for this tool, any pointers to better tools (preferrably python-based) would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Ramon

This email message (and any attached document) contains information from Ingenuity Systems Inc. which may be considered confidential by Ingenuity, or which may be privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under law, and is for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any other dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify me and destroy the attached message (and all attached documents) immediately.