matplotlib on mac os x question

Hi,

I am new to matplotlib and having trouble running a simple example, which I found on one of the tutorial pages:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot([1,2,3])
plt.ylabel('some numbers')
plt.show()

The problem I encounter is that no plot actually shows up when I run the above sequence on my idle session.
I am running on Mac OS X 10.5.6 and if anyone can give me some help, I would appreciate it.

Python: 2.5.4
idle: 1.2.4
matplotlib: 0.98.5.3

WM

Hi Walid, I'm new to mpl, too, but I just installed it on OSX and first had that problem, too. I solved it because I did not have libpng/libjpeg installed, for which a pkg installer for OSX is available here:

http://ethan.tira-thompson.org/Mac_OS_X_Ports.html

Hope this solves your problem, too!

Regards,
Florian

···

On 18 Aug 2009, at 02:11, Walid Majid wrote:

Hi,

I am new to matplotlib and having trouble running a simple example, which I found on one of the tutorial pages:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot([1,2,3])
plt.ylabel('some numbers')
plt.show()

The problem I encounter is that no plot actually shows up when I run the above sequence on my idle session.
I am running on Mac OS X 10.5.6 and if anyone can give me some help, I would appreciate it.

Python: 2.5.4
idle: 1.2.4
matplotlib: 0.98.5.3

WM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electr�nico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener informaci�n protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se proh�be la distribuci�n, reproducci�n o cualquier otro tipo de transmisi�n por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.