matplotlib.nxutils.pnpoly returns True for some vertexes, and False for others

Hello,

I tested the following code on my Mac laptop and our production Linux server both running matplotlib V1.0.1. Both machines observe the same output from the code, so I was wondering if somebody is aware of the problem or if it’s some undocumented feature of “pnpoly()” function from matplotlib.nxutils?

I use matplotlib.nxutils.pnpoly() function from matplotlib to determine if point belongs to the polygon.

The following code:

import numpy as np

import matplotlib.nxutils as nx

coords = np.array([[4.0, 1.0], [4.0, 4.0], [5.0, 5.0], [6.0, 4.0], [5.0, 0.0]])

nx.pnpoly(4.0, 1.0, coords)

nx.pnpoly(4.0, 4.0, coords)

nx.pnpoly(5.0, 5.0, coords)

nx.pnpoly(6.0, 4.0, coords)

nx.pnpoly(5.0, 0.0, coords)

The question is why first two vertexes are considered to be inside of defined polygon, and last 3 vertexes are not? My guess, it’s treating the polygon as a semi-open set, and I wonder if it can be changed to make all vertexes inclusive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Masha

···

liukis@…4271…

The documentation for pnpoly() for that version states:

“”"
A point on the boundary may be treated as inside or outside.

See `pnpoly <[http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/Research/Short_Notes/pnpoly.html](http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/Research/Short_Notes/pnpoly.html)>`_

“”"

Note that in version 1.2.0, the nxutils module was deprecated. pnpoly() and points_inside_poly() are now merely wrappers around the polygon’s implementations of point-testing, which differs from the nxutils’ implementation, so you may get slightly different results.

Do note that the point-testing algorithm in matplotlib was more geared for visualization purposes rather than for strict geometric needs. If you need a more well-behaved point-tester (and faster if the polygon is “prepared”), use the shapely package instead.

I hope that clears things up!

Cheers!
Ben Root

···

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Maria Liukis <liukis@…1887…> wrote:

Hello,

I tested the following code on my Mac laptop and our production Linux server both running matplotlib V1.0.1. Both machines observe the same output from the code, so I was wondering if somebody is aware of the problem or if it’s some undocumented feature of “pnpoly()” function from matplotlib.nxutils?

I use matplotlib.nxutils.pnpoly() function from matplotlib to determine if point belongs to the polygon.

The following code:

import numpy as np

The question is why first two vertexes are considered to be inside of defined polygon, and last 3 vertexes are not? My guess, it’s treating the polygon as a semi-open set, and I wonder if it can be changed to make all vertexes inclusive?

Many thanks,

Masha

Ben,

Many thanks! Will try to use shapely package then.

Masha

···

liukis@…1887…

On Jan 30, 2013, at 6:59 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Maria Liukis <liukis@…1887…> wrote:

Hello,

The following code:

import numpy as np

Many thanks,

Masha

The documentation for pnpoly() for that version states:

“”"
A point on the boundary may be treated as inside or outside.

See `pnpoly <[http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/Research/Short_Notes/pnpoly.html](http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/Research/Short_Notes/pnpoly.html)>`_

“”"

Note that in version 1.2.0, the nxutils module was deprecated. pnpoly() and points_inside_poly() are now merely wrappers around the polygon’s implementations of point-testing, which differs from the nxutils’ implementation, so you may get slightly different results.

Do note that the point-testing algorithm in matplotlib was more geared for visualization purposes rather than for strict geometric needs. If you need a more well-behaved point-tester (and faster if the polygon is “prepared”), use the shapely package instead.

I hope that clears things up!

Cheers!
Ben Root