matplotlib installation and ?'s

Hello mat plot lib users!

I feel quite embarrassed that I’ve gone through 2 days of trying to get to get numpy, scipy and matplotlib all to work nice with each other. I’ve scraped through forums, stackoverflow and all the links that can bide me some type of logic. Yet, alas I still fail wildly with this set of errors:

**my current status is: just did a fresh install of my lion os and haven’t installed Xcode yet. I’m a little lost and have found only macports, homebrew guides online only to be a slower failure. I really need to use this software but I’m finding it difficult keeping straight what order and what I need to install. Is it best to have python 2.6 or 2.72? if it’s 2.72 should it be the universal version from python.org? Once that is installed is it best to just install numpy and scipy from github and then try matplotlib? I know I need to install fortran and make sure that it’s using G++ 4.2 and C++ 4.2 BEFORE i run scipy and numpy setup… Yet, right now I’m floundering for a clear example on 10 or so commands I should put into terminal and in the correct order for how to install it. I promise once I learn how to install I’ll put a resource on the web or link back to some of the better resources. As for now my freshly installed os computer is in your hands currently with python 2.71 that was preinstalled with Lion. That is all I’ve done thus far. **

Thank you !

**Here is the old error I was getting when I used the home brew guide that I found here: **bit.ly/qGdKy9

In file included from src/backend_agg.cpp:11:
In file included from src/_backend_agg.h:34:
agg24/include/agg_renderer_outline_aa.h:1368:45: error: binding of reference to type ‘agg::line_profile_aa’ to a value of type ‘const agg::line_profile_aa’ drops qualifiers
line_profile_aa& profile() { return *m_profile; }
^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
error: command ‘/usr/bin/clang’ failed with exit status 1

···

—————————————-
Command /Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/bin/python -c “import setuptools;file=’/Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib/setup.py’; exec(compile(open(file).read().replace(‘\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” develop –no-deps failed with error code 1 in /Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib

Storing complete log in /Users/Will/.pip/pip.log

Hi William,

There is a company, Enthought, which offers a free package installer, which comes with 6 "essential" python libraries, including matplotlib.

If you have an "edu" email account (you are an academic, or do academic research at a gov lab, like LBL) you can download their full set of libraries

http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php

If not, and you think it is worth it (or can get your company to pay), starting at $199 you can download their package installer (and get their tech support).

Couple words about them: I have no affiliation with them. Some of their original employees were deeply involved in numpy. They developed a 3D plotting library, Mayavi, which is pretty cool.

I am reasonably comfortable with my mac, installing src code etc. I used to install everything myself (back on OS X Tiger). Then, when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I couldn't get it all to work out - I did an account migration from old to new, and then there were some issues (I think) relating to the 32 vs 64 bit compatibility that I couldn't resolve. I went to a friend who is good with computers to get help - he said "You should just use the Enthought installer - its so easy, that is what I do". That helped me get over feeling like I had to do it all myself. (Of course some day, when I have heaps of free time and no pressure from work, I will sort out how to do it all myself again....)

I am guessing if you want to link numpy against the full BLAS/LAPACK libraries for optimal speed on matrix manipulation etc, then you may need to do the installation yourself, including all the fortran libraries. But at least with their package installer, it should work out of the box. Also, it installs the whole suite as a "Framework" in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/ with a cleverly chosen Version so as not to mesh with your own installation. So you can install there version, based on 2.7 and your own version 2.7 and they won't interfere. You'll just have to relink the /usr/bin/python and /usr/local/bin/python to which version you want.

Good luck,

Andre

···

On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:07 PM, William Jennings wrote:

I feel quite embarrassed that I’ve gone through 2 days of trying to get to get numpy, scipy and matplotlib all to work nice with each other. I’ve scraped through forums, stackoverflow and all the links that can bide me some type of logic. Yet, alas I still fail wildly with this set of errors:

my current status is: just did a fresh install of my lion os and haven't installed Xcode yet. I'm a little lost and have found only macports, homebrew guides online only to be a slower failure. I really need to use this software but I'm finding it difficult keeping straight what order and what I need to install. Is it best to have python 2.6 or 2.72? if it's 2.72 should it be the universal version from python.org? Once that is installed is it best to just install numpy and scipy from github and then try matplotlib? I know I need to install fortran and make sure that it's using G++ 4.2 and C++ 4.2 BEFORE i run scipy and numpy setup... Yet, right now I'm floundering for a clear example on 10 or so commands I should put into terminal and in the correct order for how to install it. I promise once I learn how to install I'll put a resource on the web or link back to some of the better resources. As for now my freshly installed os computer is in your hands currently with python 2.71 that was preinstalled with Lion. That is all I've done thus far.

Thank you !

Here is the old error I was getting when I used the home brew guide that I found here: bit.ly/qGdKy9
agg24/include/agg_renderer_outline_aa.h:1368:45: error: binding of reference to type ‘agg::line_profile_aa’ to a value of type ‘const agg::line_profile_aa’ drops qualifiers
^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
—————————————-
Command /Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/bin/python -c “import setuptools;file=’/Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib/setup.py’; exec(compile(open(file).read().replace(‘\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” develop –no-deps failed with error code 1 in /Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers
is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3,
Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
matplotlib-users List Signup and Options

I feel quite embarrassed that I’ve gone through 2 days of trying to get
to get numpy, scipy and matplotlib all to work nice with each other.
I’ve scraped through forums, stackoverflow and all the links that can
bide me some type of logic. Yet, alas I still fail wildly with this set
of errors:

*my current status is: just did a fresh install of my lion os and
haven't installed Xcode yet. I'm a little lost and have found only
macports, homebrew guides online only to be a slower failure. I really
need to use this software but I'm finding it difficult keeping straight
what order and what I need to install. Is it best to have python 2.6 or
2.72? if it's 2.72 should it be the universal version from python.org
<http://python.org/&gt;? Once that is installed is it best to just install
numpy and scipy from github and then try matplotlib? I know I need to
install fortran and make sure that it's using G++ 4.2 and C++ 4.2 BEFORE
i run scipy and numpy setup... Yet, right now I'm floundering for a
clear example on 10 or so commands I should put into terminal and in the
correct order for how to install it. I promise once I learn how to
install I'll put a resource on the web or link back to some of the
better resources. As for now my freshly installed os computer is in your
hands currently with python 2.71 that was preinstalled with Lion. That
is all I've done thus far. *

The Enthought suggestion is a good one.

Another possibility is to install the python 2.7 from the Download Python | Python.org Mac installer (the one for Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7), then the corresponding numpy installer (see scipy.org; the download would be from Numerical Python - Browse /NumPy/1.6.1 at SourceForge.net and you want the one near the bottom, ending in "macosx10.6.dmg"), and last the recently added mpl Mac installer for python 2.7, the first file you see here:
matplotlib - Browse /matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.0 at SourceForge.net

I haven't tried it--I don't have a mac--but I'm pretty sure the above set should all work together.

Eric

···

On 02/20/2012 07:07 PM, William Jennings wrote:

*Thank you !*
*Here is the old error I was getting when I used the home brew guide
that I found here: *bit.ly/qGdKy9 <http://bit.ly/qGdKy9&gt;

agg24/include/agg_renderer_outline_aa.h:1368:45: error: binding of
reference to type ‘agg::line_profile_aa’ to a value of type ‘const
agg::line_profile_aa’ drops qualifiers
^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
—————————————-
Command /Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/bin/python -c “import
setuptools;*file*=’/Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib/setup.py’;
exec(compile(open(*file*).read().replace(‘\r\n’, ‘\n’), *file*,
‘exec’))” develop –no-deps failed with error code 1 in
/Users/Will/.virtualenvs/test1/src/matplotlib

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers
is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3,
Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d