matplotlib.github.com

I know we had experimented with moving the main documentation website to matplotlib.github.com a while ago (and in fact there's still an old version of the docs sitting there). I can't remember the reason we chose to remain at matplotlib.sourceforge.net and searching the mailing list archive isn't helping jog my memory there.

I'd like to move to github's hosting if possible because rsyncing to sourceforge is slow as molasses and doesn't always work reliably.

Supporting existing links to matplotlib.sourceforge.net is of course very important, and I would put whatever redirects we need to keep those working in any event.

Mike

I wasn't involved at the time, but was it because
matplotlib.github.com is slower?

As far as I can see the github docs are as up-to-date as the
souceforge ones. (although reading the commit log on the docs repo
doesn't seem to agree with that statement)

All in all, sounds promising.

···

On 10 August 2012 15:26, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

I know we had experimented with moving the main documentation website to
matplotlib.github.com a while ago (and in fact there's still an old
version of the docs sitting there). I can't remember the reason we
chose to remain at matplotlib.sourceforge.net and searching the mailing
list archive isn't helping jog my memory there.

I'd like to move to github's hosting if possible because rsyncing to
sourceforge is slow as molasses and doesn't always work reliably.

Supporting existing links to matplotlib.sourceforge.net is of course
very important, and I would put whatever redirects we need to keep those
working in any event.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

As far as I can see the github docs are as up-to-date as the
souceforge ones.

Scrub that statement. My browser cache needed clearing.

···

On 10 August 2012 15:44, Phil Elson <pelson.pub@...149...> wrote:

I wasn't involved at the time, but was it because
matplotlib.github.com is slower?

As far as I can see the github docs are as up-to-date as the
souceforge ones. (although reading the commit log on the docs repo
doesn't seem to agree with that statement)

All in all, sounds promising.

On 10 August 2012 15:26, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

I know we had experimented with moving the main documentation website to
matplotlib.github.com a while ago (and in fact there's still an old
version of the docs sitting there). I can't remember the reason we
chose to remain at matplotlib.sourceforge.net and searching the mailing
list archive isn't helping jog my memory there.

I'd like to move to github's hosting if possible because rsyncing to
sourceforge is slow as molasses and doesn't always work reliably.

Supporting existing links to matplotlib.sourceforge.net is of course
very important, and I would put whatever redirects we need to keep those
working in any event.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Actually, why not move all the official domain machinery to
matplotlib.org? That can be managed with the github tools, and
github/pypi can be used for downloads with a far simpler workflow than
the particular incarnation of UX hell that is sourceforge's upload
system...

We've been doing that for a while with ipython since we moved to
ipython.org, and we've been very happy. With suitable redirects in
place, no google rank will be lost nor will users be confused, and
gradually everyone's bookmarks and habits will transition to mpl.org.

If you guys want to do that and run into any issues, we (ipython) will
be happy to share how it works for us and help out.

Just a thought...

f

···

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

Supporting existing links to matplotlib.sourceforge.net is of course
very important, and I would put whatever redirects we need to keep those
working in any event.

Supporting existing links to matplotlib.sourceforge.net is of course
very important, and I would put whatever redirects we need to keep those
working in any event.

Actually, why not move all the official domain machinery to
matplotlib.org?

That is the end goal. I'm talking simply about the static webpage hosting here. If I recall correctly, I think the space limitations on github used to be a problem for us, which is why we haven't used it as the canonical web hosting. But that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I was mostly hoping that anyone involved in the decision to not go with github's web hosting at the time could remember any other downsides.

That can be managed with the github tools, and
github/pypi can be used for downloads with a far simpler workflow than
the particular incarnation of UX hell that is sourceforge's upload
system...

I plan to move to github for downloads as well.

We've been doing that for a while with ipython since we moved to
ipython.org, and we've been very happy. With suitable redirects in
place, no google rank will be lost nor will users be confused, and
gradually everyone's bookmarks and habits will transition to mpl.org.

If you guys want to do that and run into any issues, we (ipython) will
be happy to share how it works for us and help out.

Thanks. Will do.

Mike

···

On 08/10/2012 03:45 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

Glad to hear that! The github folks have been very flexible in their
application of the quotas and have always said that any OSS project
that has a legitimate need for additional space will always be
granted. They just don't want github to become somebody's
picture/music/movie backup system for free, that's all.

I have never seen them actually enforce the limits on any OSS project,
but I'd be happy to put you in touch directly with someone there if
you want a more direct clarification on this.

Best,

f

···

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

That is the end goal. I'm talking simply about the static webpage hosting
here. If I recall correctly, I think the space limitations on github used
to be a problem for us, which is why we haven't used it as the canonical web
hosting. But that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I was mostly
hoping that anyone involved in the decision to not go with github's web
hosting at the time could remember any other downsides.