matplotlib - fill open path inside U.S. borders + sample map

Hi Filipe,

I have just seen your answers. I am trying to plot on a background GIF map, lines like the ones you can see in http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1probotlk_2000_wind.gif. I can plot the lines as you see them in this link without a problem. However, because those lines are not closed polygons, the filling extends only to a straight line between first and last point of the curve.
I want the filling to extend all the way to the border of United States.

Since drawcountries() return a Collection of paths without any metadata identifying the country/countries been separated by it, I cannot use it to mask the area outside ofthe borders out.

I'd appreciate any link/documentation I could read to help me resolve this issue.

Thank you

Isidora

Nobody has tried to do this (that I know of), so I can't point you to anything specific. Did you see my message about creating a gridded field (say 1's for points inside and 0's for points outside the region), the calling contour to draw the line? You can use the is_land method to determine if a point is over land or not, but there is not way to determine whether a given point is inside a country. As you found out, there is no metadata associated with the coastlines or political boundary lines.

The fillcontinents method returns a list matplotlib polygon instances that represent the land areas. One of them is North America, and could be used to clip your line segments - but there is no easy way to determine which one it is.

If you can find a shapefile that just contains a CONUS polygon, you could use that I suppose.

-Jeff

···

On 9/28/11 2:19 PM, Isidora wrote:

Hi Filipe,

I have just seen your answers. I am trying to plot on a background GIF map, lines like the ones you can see in http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1probotlk_2000_wind.gif. I can plot the lines as you see them in this link without a problem. However, because those lines are not closed polygons, the filling extends only to a straight line between first and last point of the curve.

Since drawcountries() return a Collection of paths without any metadata identifying the country/countries been separated by it, I cannot use it to mask the area outside ofthe borders out.

I'd appreciate any link/documentation I could read to help me resolve this issue.

Thank you

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Hi Filipe,

Thank you

Isidora

Nobody has tried to do this (that I know of), so I can't point you to
anything specific. Did you see my message about creating a gridded
field (say 1's for points inside and 0's for points outside the region),
the calling contour to draw the line? You can use the is_land method to
determine if a point is over land or not, but there is not way to
determine whether a given point is inside a country. As you found out,
there is no metadata associated with the coastlines or political
boundary lines.

The fillcontinents method returns a list matplotlib polygon instances
that represent the land areas. One of them is North America, and could
be used to clip your line segments - but there is no easy way to
determine which one it is.

If you can find a shapefile that just contains a CONUS polygon, you
could use that I suppose.

I guess that Jeff suggestion of manipulation a shapefile might be the
easiest way to do this, here is an example that might help you.

http://www.geophysique.be/en/2011/01/27/matplotlib-basemap-tutorial-07-shapefiles-unleached/

-Filipe

···

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 16:39, Jeff Whitaker <jswhit@...146...> wrote:

On 9/28/11 2:19 PM, Isidora wrote:

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
definitive record of customers, application performance, security
threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1