matplotlib FC3 install problems (was Re: matplotlib Redhat 9.0 install problems)

First, let me tell you how jaw-droppingly-cool I think matplotlib is. I think I've used every plotting package for Python out there, and matplotlib is the best of them all. These are truly "publication quality" graphics. Congratulations on a wonderful package.

Now, being that cool, I want to install them everywhere. I found a binary version for the mac (although I would prefer to install from source...), but I'm having a hard time building on Fedora Core 3. The RH9 thread and the patch recommended therein was helpful, but I'm still getting a bug:

gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -Isrc -Iagg22/include -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Isrc/freetype2 -Iagg22/include/freetype2 -I./freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/pygtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2/config -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/python2.3 -c src/_gtkagg.cpp -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/src/_gtkagg.o
In file included from /usr/include/python2.3/Python.h:8,
                  from /usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygobject.h:5,
                  from src/_gtkagg.cpp:8:
/usr/include/python2.3/pyconfig.h:850:1: warning: "_POSIX_C_SOURCE" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/string.h:26,
                  from /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.2/../../../../include/c++/3.4.2/cstring:51,
                  from src/_gtkagg.cpp:1:
/usr/include/features.h:150:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from src/_gtkagg.cpp:8:
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygobject.h:140: error: expected `,' or `...' before "typename"
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygobject.h:147: error: expected `,' or `...' before "typename"
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I just re-tried this with the CVS version (I note you've fixed the RH9 bug therein), but this bug still occurs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Rick Muller - rmuller@...176... - http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~rmuller
Computational Materials and Molecular Biology
Sandia National Laboratories
PO Box 5800, M/S 1110
Albuquerque, NM 87185-1110