Matplotlib differences MacOSXAgg and others

Hello again,

I've posted these two issues in separate mails, as I suspect they're
actually different problems.

This error is particular to the default version of MacOSX's matplotlib
version 1.4.3:

When doing a simple plot:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

def test_plot():
    x = range(11)
    y = [x0**2 for x0 in x]

    plt.plot(x, y, 'o:', fillstyle='none', label = "1", ms = 10)
    plt.legend()
    plt.show()

def main(args):
    test_plot()
    return 0

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import sys
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))

Much of the data is available on this thread on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31408928/how-can-i-plot-hollowed-symbols-connected-with-dotted-lines-in-one-go/31410105?noredirect=1#comment50794519_31410105

The gist is that a dotted line ('o:') works correctly
on my system (Linux Slackware/matplotlib 1.3.1 and 1.4.3), on C.C.Yang's
Linux Mint, but not on his MacOSX (on which the _circle symbols_ are also
dotted).

It does work if he defines TkAgg or GtkAgg (even though he does not have
Gtk installed on his Mac)

Any suggestions to solve this?

Is there a problem in the MacOSXAgg backend?

John

We have been recently fixing a bunch of issues in the macosx backend (which is default on Macs). Having the circle be dotted sounds exactly like the sort of problem that would be caused by some of the bugs we are addressing. I think we have some of the fixes committed to the master branch, so if you could build and install from git, you can see if the problem is fixed yet or not.

Ben Root

···

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM, John Coppens <john@…4687…> wrote:

Hello again,

I’ve posted these two issues in separate mails, as I suspect they’re

actually different problems.

This error is particular to the default version of MacOSX’s matplotlib

version 1.4.3:

When doing a simple plot:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

def test_plot():

x = range(11)

y = [x0**2 for x0 in x]



plt.plot(x, y, 'o:', fillstyle='none', label = "1", ms = 10)

plt.legend()

plt.show()

def main(args):

test_plot()

return 0

if name == ‘main’:

import sys

sys.exit(main(sys.argv))

Much of the data is available on this thread on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31408928/how-can-i-plot-hollowed-symbols-connected-with-dotted-lines-in-one-go/31410105?noredirect=1#comment50794519_31410105

The gist is that a dotted line (‘o:’) works correctly

on my system (Linux Slackware/matplotlib 1.3.1 and 1.4.3), on C.C.Yang’s

Linux Mint, but not on his MacOSX (on which the circle symbols are also

dotted).

It does work if he defines TkAgg or GtkAgg (even though he does not have

Gtk installed on his Mac)

Any suggestions to solve this?

Is there a problem in the MacOSXAgg backend?

John


Don’t Limit Your Business. Reach for the Cloud.

GigeNET’s Cloud Solutions provide you with the tools and support that

you need to offload your IT needs and focus on growing your business.

Configured For All Businesses. Start Your Cloud Today.

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/


Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

The PR to fix this is still open (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/4202).

Tom

···

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM John Coppens <john@…4687…> wrote:

Hello again,

I’ve posted these two issues in separate mails, as I suspect they’re

actually different problems.

This error is particular to the default version of MacOSX’s matplotlib

version 1.4.3:

When doing a simple plot:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

def test_plot():

x = range(11)

y = [x0**2 for x0 in x]



plt.plot(x, y, 'o:', fillstyle='none', label = "1", ms = 10)

plt.legend()

plt.show()

def main(args):

test_plot()

return 0

if name == ‘main’:

import sys

sys.exit(main(sys.argv))

Much of the data is available on this thread on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31408928/how-can-i-plot-hollowed-symbols-connected-with-dotted-lines-in-one-go/31410105?noredirect=1#comment50794519_31410105

The gist is that a dotted line (‘o:’) works correctly

on my system (Linux Slackware/matplotlib 1.3.1 and 1.4.3), on C.C.Yang’s

Linux Mint, but not on his MacOSX (on which the circle symbols are also

dotted).

It does work if he defines TkAgg or GtkAgg (even though he does not have

Gtk installed on his Mac)

Any suggestions to solve this?

Is there a problem in the MacOSXAgg backend?

John


Don’t Limit Your Business. Reach for the Cloud.

GigeNET’s Cloud Solutions provide you with the tools and support that

you need to offload your IT needs and focus on growing your business.

Configured For All Businesses. Start Your Cloud Today.

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/


Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

It is not clear to me that 4202 would fix it, and I think 4202 has a basic problem of its own.

John, if you haven't already done so, please escalate this to a github issue.

Eric

···

On 2015/07/15 4:58 AM, Thomas Caswell wrote:

The PR to fix this is still open
(https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/4202).

Tom

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM John Coppens <john@…4687… > <mailto:john@…4687…>> wrote:

    Hello again,

    I've posted these two issues in separate mails, as I suspect they're
    actually different problems.

    This error is particular to the default version of MacOSX's matplotlib
    version 1.4.3:

    When doing a simple plot:

    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

    def test_plot():
         x = range(11)
         y = [x0**2 for x0 in x]

         plt.plot(x, y, 'o:', fillstyle='none', label = "1", ms = 10)
         plt.legend()
         plt.show()

    def main(args):
         test_plot()
         return 0

    if __name__ == '__main__':
         import sys
         sys.exit(main(sys.argv))

    Much of the data is available on this thread on stackoverflow:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31408928/how-can-i-plot-hollowed-symbols-connected-with-dotted-lines-in-one-go/31410105?noredirect=1#comment50794519_31410105

    The gist is that a dotted line ('o:') works correctly
    on my system (Linux Slackware/matplotlib 1.3.1 and 1.4.3), on C.C.Yang's
    Linux Mint, but not on his MacOSX (on which the _circle symbols_ are
    also
    dotted).

    It does work if he defines TkAgg or GtkAgg (even though he does not have
    Gtk installed on his Mac)

    Any suggestions to solve this?

    Is there a problem in the MacOSXAgg backend?

    John

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't Limit Your Business. Reach for the Cloud.
    GigeNET's Cloud Solutions provide you with the tools and support that
    you need to offload your IT needs and focus on growing your business.
    Configured For All Businesses. Start Your Cloud Today.
    https://www.gigenetcloud.com/
    _______________________________________________
    Matplotlib-users mailing list
    Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
    <mailto:Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Limit Your Business. Reach for the Cloud.
GigeNET's Cloud Solutions provide you with the tools and support that
you need to offload your IT needs and focus on growing your business.
Configured For All Businesses. Start Your Cloud Today.
https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Will do...

Cheers,
John

···

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 07:19:53 -1000 Eric Firing <efiring@...202...> wrote:

John, if you haven't already done so, please escalate this to a github
issue.