[Matplotlib-devel] Statement of Interest - GSOD Technical Writer Application - Vaishnavi Nandakumar

Hi Team,

My name is Vaishnavi Nandakumar and I’m interested in applying for the technical writer role at Matplotlib. I graduated from Vellore Institute of Technology in 2022 and I’ve been working as a software engineer at Visa in their Bangalore office. During my time as a student, I was heavily involved in freelancing my skills as an efficient writer and content creator. These opportunities were a fantastic way to gain exposure to different fields in tech and expand my skill set for the same.

Technical Writing Experience

• Transerve

Developed technical content for Transerve Online Stack (TOS), an SaaS platform that included API documentation and user manuals. Responsibilities also consisted of creating in-product content for better user experience along with blogs focused on geospatial analytics and their applications.

Transerve - Documentation Samples

• SeaportAI

Worked as a summer intern for SeaportAI, an advanced analytics and AI development company that required research-oriented blogs in the field of AI and data science.

SeaportAI - Documentation Samples

• Stack Overflow

Helping people solve their technical problems is one thing but conveying the solution in a way that follows an organized approach that could be understood by both an expert and a novice alike was another task of its own. This was perhaps one of the most intimidating goals I’ve had and the skills I’ve acquired from this process can be purely attributed to the support and critique I’ve received from the wonderful community within Stack Overflow.

https://stackoverflow.com/users/15834974/vnk

• Medium Blogs

A personal blog to document the self-learning progress in the technical subjects that I found interesting.

https://medium.com/@VaishnaviNandakumar

The technical writing opportunities I’ve had are varied across different tech stacks and skills. From geospatial analytics to machine learning these experiences taught me how to adapt to different technologies while maintaining an efficient learning pace. I took the last year to focus on settling in and adapting to my first full-time job which is why I wasn’t actively involved in open source or any other side project development. However lately, I have started to look out for opportunities in open source again where I hope to eventually make contributions that have a relevant impact.

I do believe I can make valuable contributions within the scope of this project and if flexible working hours are allowed, monetary support for my effort isn’t a strong requirement. I have attached my resume for your review. I’m also available for further discussion and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Vaishnavi Nandakumar

Vaishnavi_Nandakumar_Resume.pdf (44.4 KB)