[Matplotlib-devel] Fwd: About basemap maintenance

Someone appears to have some interest in keeping up basemap maintenance. I’ll leave it up to the group to decide if it is worth it or if there is a better option for Victor (cc’ed). Personally, I never attempted any sort of repackaging work like they did in conda-forge because pip installs of basemap have other difficulties (namely, the proj4 and by extension, the libgeos dependency). With conda-forge handling the packaging for me, I just never bothered even uploading new packages to PyPI.

Thoughts?

Ben Root

···

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 3:47 PM
Subject: About basemap maintenance
To: <ben.v.root@gmail.com>

Dear Ben,

I write to you because you appear as the current (and last) maintainer of basemap. I am aware that basemap has been deprecated already quite long, but for work-related reasons I need to maintain some software that still relies on basemap.

What should I do in order to join the matplotlib team and provide myself some basemap maintenance for a bit more time? I do not plan to add new features, but I think I could help in solving the current problem of package size that prevents basemap from being available in PyPI (this is a problem for my CI stuff because I cannot rely on PyPI to install basemap as dependency and I need to provide my own basemap wheels to the deployment environment).

Essentially I workaround the package size issue in the same way as it is done in Anaconda: to split the library and separate necessary data from “optional” data. In Anaconda, you will find “basemap” (which excludes high-resolution data) and “basemap-data-hires” (with just these excluded files). I was playing a bit with the basemap setup file and I could manage to split the package in three parts:

• basemap-data: this is a package with just the basemap data of lower resolution (approx. 20 MB).

• basemap-lite: this is just the basemap source code and the compiled geoslib, and it has basemap-data as dependency (less than 1 MB).

• basemap-extras: this is the equivalent to basemap-data-hires in Anaconda (about 110 MB).

This repackaging has the advantage that at least basemap-data and basemap-lite fulfill the package size requirement of PyPI. Furthermore, since basemap-data and basemap-extras only contain data, it is possible to create for it just one universal wheel file valid for all Python versions and operating systems. Then basemap-lite needs one wheel file per Python version and operating system, but thanks to keeping the data in a separate package a lot of file redundancy is avoided.

Kind regards,

Víctor

Ben,

I would welcome sufficient continued maintenance to keep basemap working smoothly with new python and mpl versions as they are released.

Eric

···

On 2020/11/06 12:13 PM, Benjamin Root wrote:

Someone appears to have some interest in keeping up basemap maintenance. I'll leave it up to the group to decide if it is worth it or if there is a better option for Victor (cc'ed). Personally, I never attempted any sort of repackaging work like they did in conda-forge because pip installs of basemap have other difficulties (namely, the proj4 and by extension, the libgeos dependency). With conda-forge handling the packaging for me, I just never bothered even uploading new packages to PyPI.

Thoughts?

Ben Root

From: *Víctor Molina García* <victor.molina@usal.es <mailto:victor.molina@usal.es>>
To: <ben.v.root@gmail.com <mailto:ben.v.root@gmail.com>>

Dear Ben,

I write to you because you appear as the current (and last) maintainer of basemap. I am aware that basemap has been deprecated already quite long, but for work-related reasons I need to maintain some software that still relies on basemap.

What should I do in order to join the matplotlib team and provide myself some basemap maintenance for a bit more time? I do not plan to add new features, but I think I could help in solving the current problem of package size that prevents basemap from being available in PyPI (this is a problem for my CI stuff because I cannot rely on PyPI to install basemap as dependency and I need to provide my own basemap wheels to the deployment environment).

Essentially I workaround the package size issue in the same way as it is done in Anaconda: to split the library and separate necessary data from "optional" data. In Anaconda, you will find "basemap" (which excludes high-resolution data) and "basemap-data-hires" (with just these excluded files). I was playing a bit with the basemap setup file and I could manage to split the package in three parts:
- basemap-data: this is a package with just the basemap data of lower resolution (approx. 20 MB).
- basemap-lite: this is just the basemap source code and the compiled geoslib, and it has basemap-data as dependency (less than 1 MB).
- basemap-extras: this is the equivalent to basemap-data-hires in Anaconda (about 110 MB).

This repackaging has the advantage that at least basemap-data and basemap-lite fulfill the package size requirement of PyPI. Furthermore, since basemap-data and basemap-extras only contain data, it is possible to create for it just one universal wheel file valid for all Python versions and operating systems. Then basemap-lite needs one wheel file per Python version and operating system, but thanks to keeping the data in a separate package a lot of file redundancy is avoided.

Kind regards,

Víctor

I am also supportive of Victor coming on board to help maintain basemap, but leave the ultimate decision to Ben.

I think that scheme for splitting the package up like that does make sense and leaves a path to adding a “please download just the data I need” helper.

Tom

···

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell@gmail.com

It seems like the other members were generally supportive of the idea. If you wish to pursue this, feel free to do so, I won’t stop you or anyone else from doing so. My particular needs for supporting basemap ended last year, so I no longer have a compelling reason (and thus, motivation) to continue support for Basemap. Just know that once your name and email address ends up on the doc pages, you will get private requests for Basemap support approximately once a month (with no compensation). Not a major burden, but just FYI.

Ben Root

···

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM Víctor Molina García <victor.molina@usal.es> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Did you think about the proposal regarding the basemap maintenance? In the meantime I was playing a bit on my own fork regarding this basemap split into source and data, it may look like this (my “personal” 1.3.0 version):
https://github.com/molinav/basemap/releases/tag/v1.3.0

This does not solve the problem of GEOS as dependency, but it is one first step.

Regards,

Víctor

El mar, 10 nov 2020 a las 15:41, Thomas Caswell (<tcaswell@gmail.com>) escribió:

I am also supportive of Victor coming on board to help maintain basemap, but leave the ultimate decision to Ben.

I think that scheme for splitting the package up like that does make sense and leaves a path to adding a “please download just the data I need” helper.

Tom

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 6:40 PM Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu> wrote:

Ben,

I would welcome sufficient continued maintenance to keep basemap working
smoothly with new python and mpl versions as they are released.

Eric

Someone appears to have some interest in keeping up basemap maintenance.
I’ll leave it up to the group to decide if it is worth it or if there is
a better option for Victor (cc’ed). Personally, I never attempted any
sort of repackaging work like they did in conda-forge because pip
installs of basemap have other difficulties (namely, the proj4 and by
extension, the libgeos dependency). With conda-forge handling the
packaging for me, I just never bothered even uploading new packages to PyPI.

Thoughts?

Ben Root

mailto:[victor.molina@usal.es](mailto:victor.molina@usal.es)>
To: <ben.v.root@gmail.com mailto:[ben.v.root@gmail.com](mailto:ben.v.root@gmail.com)>

Dear Ben,

I write to you because you appear as the current (and last) maintainer
of basemap. I am aware that basemap has been deprecated already quite
long, but for work-related reasons I need to maintain some software that
still relies on basemap.

What should I do in order to join the matplotlib team and provide myself
some basemap maintenance for a bit more time? I do not plan to add new
features, but I think I could help in solving the current problem of
package size that prevents basemap from being available in PyPI (this is
a problem for my CI stuff because I cannot rely on PyPI to install
basemap as dependency and I need to provide my own basemap wheels to the
deployment environment).

Essentially I workaround the package size issue in the same way as it is
done in Anaconda: to split the library and separate necessary data from
“optional” data. In Anaconda, you will find “basemap” (which excludes
high-resolution data) and “basemap-data-hires” (with just these excluded
files). I was playing a bit with the basemap setup file and I could
manage to split the package in three parts:

• basemap-data: this is a package with just the basemap data of lower
    resolution (approx. 20 MB).
  • basemap-lite: this is just the basemap source code and the compiled
    geoslib, and it has basemap-data as dependency (less than 1 MB).
  • basemap-extras: this is the equivalent to basemap-data-hires in
    Anaconda (about 110 MB).

This repackaging has the advantage that at least basemap-data and
basemap-lite fulfill the package size requirement of PyPI. Furthermore,
since basemap-data and basemap-extras only contain data, it is possible
to create for it just one universal wheel file valid for all Python
versions and operating systems. Then basemap-lite needs one wheel file
per Python version and operating system, but thanks to keeping the data
in a separate package a lot of file redundancy is avoided.

Kind regards,

Víctor

Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@python.org
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell@gmail.com

Hi Victor,

Thanks a lot for being willing to do this. We discussed on the developer call and this would be fine. Thomas Caswell would need to give you commit bit on that repo.

Thanks! Jody

···

On 7 Dec 2020, at 09:05, Benjamin Root <ben.v.root@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems like the other members were generally supportive of the idea. If you wish to pursue this, feel free to do so, I won’t stop you or anyone else from doing so. My particular needs for supporting basemap ended last year, so I no longer have a compelling reason (and thus, motivation) to continue support for Basemap. Just know that once your name and email address ends up on the doc pages, you will get private requests for Basemap support approximately once a month (with no compensation). Not a major burden, but just FYI.

Ben Root

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM Víctor Molina García <victor.molina@usal.es> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Did you think about the proposal regarding the basemap maintenance? In the meantime I was playing a bit on my own fork regarding this basemap split into source and data, it may look like this (my “personal” 1.3.0 version):
https://github.com/molinav/basemap/releases/tag/v1.3.0

This does not solve the problem of GEOS as dependency, but it is one first step.

Regards,

Víctor

El mar, 10 nov 2020 a las 15:41, Thomas Caswell (<tcaswell@gmail.com>) escribió:

Tom

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 6:40 PM Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu> wrote:

Ben,

I would welcome sufficient continued maintenance to keep basemap working
smoothly with new python and mpl versions as they are released.

Eric

Someone appears to have some interest in keeping up basemap maintenance.
I’ll leave it up to the group to decide if it is worth it or if there is
a better option for Victor (cc’ed). Personally, I never attempted any
sort of repackaging work like they did in conda-forge because pip
installs of basemap have other difficulties (namely, the proj4 and by
extension, the libgeos dependency). With conda-forge handling the
packaging for me, I just never bothered even uploading new packages to PyPI.

Thoughts?

Ben Root

mailto:[victor.molina@usal.es](mailto:victor.molina@usal.es)>
To: <ben.v.root@gmail.com mailto:[ben.v.root@gmail.com](mailto:ben.v.root@gmail.com)>

Dear Ben,

I write to you because you appear as the current (and last) maintainer
of basemap. I am aware that basemap has been deprecated already quite
long, but for work-related reasons I need to maintain some software that
still relies on basemap.

What should I do in order to join the matplotlib team and provide myself
some basemap maintenance for a bit more time? I do not plan to add new
features, but I think I could help in solving the current problem of
package size that prevents basemap from being available in PyPI (this is
a problem for my CI stuff because I cannot rely on PyPI to install
basemap as dependency and I need to provide my own basemap wheels to the
deployment environment).

Essentially I workaround the package size issue in the same way as it is
done in Anaconda: to split the library and separate necessary data from
“optional” data. In Anaconda, you will find “basemap” (which excludes
high-resolution data) and “basemap-data-hires” (with just these excluded
files). I was playing a bit with the basemap setup file and I could
manage to split the package in three parts:

• basemap-data: this is a package with just the basemap data of lower
    resolution (approx. 20 MB).
  • basemap-lite: this is just the basemap source code and the compiled
    geoslib, and it has basemap-data as dependency (less than 1 MB).
  • basemap-extras: this is the equivalent to basemap-data-hires in
    Anaconda (about 110 MB).

This repackaging has the advantage that at least basemap-data and
basemap-lite fulfill the package size requirement of PyPI. Furthermore,
since basemap-data and basemap-extras only contain data, it is possible
to create for it just one universal wheel file valid for all Python
versions and operating systems. Then basemap-lite needs one wheel file
per Python version and operating system, but thanks to keeping the data
in a separate package a lot of file redundancy is avoided.

Kind regards,

Víctor

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell@gmail.com

Matplotlib-devel Info Page

Victor,

You should have an invitation to the Matplotlib org to the basemap team (just created) with write-access to the basemap repository (I have also made Ben a “maintainer” on that team).

I do not have access to the basemap project on pypi, Ben will have to add you to that so you can publish the new packages as well.

Welcome to the team!

Tom

···

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell@gmail.com