[Matplotlib-devel] Expression of Interest in Google Season of Docs for Matplotlib

Hello Mentor

I am writing to express my interest in participating in the Google Season of Docs program as a technical writer for your project, “Indexing of Matplotlib Gallery Examples.” I am excited to contribute to your organization and help make your documentation more usable and accessible for your users.

Matplotlib is a comprehensive library for creating visualizations in Python, and your gallery of examples is an essential resource for users. However, as the library has grown organically, the current structure of the gallery poses significant usability and discoverability problems for users. I believe that redefining the information architecture of the example gallery and developing categories and tags for classification could significantly enhance the user experience and make your library more accessible to a broader audience.

As an experienced technical writer, I have a strong understanding of information architecture and content classification. I have worked on similar projects in the past, and I am confident in my ability to deliver the proposed guidelines for choosing and implementing tags for the Matplotlib gallery examples successfully. Additionally, I have experience collaborating with development teams, and I understand the importance of communication, feedback, and iteration in the software development process.

I am passionate about open-source software and believe in its power to make a positive impact on the world. I would be honored to contribute to Matplotlib’s mission of making data visualization accessible to everyone.

If you select me as a technical writer for this project, my first steps would be to understand the current state of the example gallery and audit the existing content. I would then work with your team to develop a tagging scheme and guidelines for classification, focusing on improving the discoverability and usability of the gallery. Finally, I would propose entry points and learning paths for users to navigate the documentation, making it easier for them to find relevant examples.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,
Rohit Raj