[matplotlib-devel] 1.4.3 does not build on Ubuntu 14 with python3

We would too. This is the first time I have seen updating setuptools not work. That was the fix… I have no clue why it is broken on your system.

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM, <keith.briggs@…644…> wrote:

Ok, I will check out anaconda anyway.

I would think that the matplotlib maintainers would want to make sure they support the very popular Ubuntu platform, even if a workaround for a bug elsewhere is needed.

K

From: ben.v.root@…287… [mailto:ben.v.root@…287…] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root
Sent: 18 March 2015 17:17
To: Briggs,KM,Keith,TUB2 R; Matplotlib Users

Subject: Re: [matplotlib-devel] 1.4.3 does not build on Ubuntu 14 with python3

One thing I just noticed is that python3.4 and the distutils libraries are installed at /usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/, but the setuptools is located at /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/. One of the oddities of setuptools is that it monkey-patches distutils, if I understand it correctly, so perhaps it isn’t doing it correctly for some reason? I haven’t a clue, really.

This oddity in directory structures was actually one thing I noticed in Ubuntu last summer/fall for py2.7 that broke a lot of things for me. I was in a rush at the time, so I just switched to anaconda, nuked everything python in my .local and moved on. That is always an option here, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this as well.

Ben Root

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:03 PM, <keith.briggs@…644…> wrote:

Ben: thanks for your help - it’s very much appreciated!
Keith

kbriggs:~/Downloads/matplotlib-1.4.3> python3
Python 3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:11)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)
/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/setuptools-14.3-py3.4.egg/setuptools/init.py

kbriggs:~/Downloads/matplotlib-1.4.3> python
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/init.pyc

From: ben.v.root@…287… [ben.v.root@…287…] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…]
Sent: 18 March 2015 16:58
To: Briggs,KM,Keith,TUB2 R
Cc: matplotlib development list

Keith,

Back to the issue at hand. could you do the following?

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

It would be interesting to see if that path differs from the path of the egg you just listed.
Ben

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM, <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...> wrote:
pip still thinks I have the latest. I think it’s a question of how to force the matplotlib setup.py to use actually it.
Keith

kbriggs:~/Downloads/matplotlib-1.4.3> sudo pip3 install setuptools --upgrade
Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/setuptools-14.3-py3.4.egg
Cleaning up…

From: ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287... [ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287...] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…120…1304…mailto:ben.root@...1304...]
Sent: 18 March 2015 15:33

I would just use pip. Ubuntu/Debian has really messed up the python environment in more ways than one.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM, keithbriggs <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...<mailto:keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...878....644...>> wrote:
The Ubuntu package manager tells me it is up to date.
If I download setuptools-14.3 and install, it goes into /usr/local/lib/ and
doesn’t get used.
How do I force it to be used?
Or am I supposed to override the Ubuntu package manager?
Keith

Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.netmailto:Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

We do support ubuntu, travis.ci (which we use for continuous integration testing) is ubuntu based and my main development box is ubuntu (but I mostly work inside conda environments rather than virtualenvs these days). Even though it is the worst thing for a dev to say, ‘it works on my machine’.

Part of the problem here is that it looks like you are doing system-wide installations from source so you have almost certainly driven your system into an inconsistent state. Unless you know enough sys-admin magic to ensure you won’t step on the toes of the system packages, I strongly suggest never using sudo to install python packages. Either use venv/conda or install into a directory in your home directory and modify $PYTHONPATH as needed.

I know it is frustrating, but there isn’t a whole lot we can do to help you with you knowing exactly what you have done to your system.

In any case antagonizing the developers and the debian packager is not the most effective course of action. I assure you all of us are making a good faith effort to make sure mpl works everywhere. Starting from that assumption will make all of these conversations go much more smoothly. Also remember everyone responding to you on this list is a volunteer, please be respectful of our time and energy.

Tom

···

I would think that the matplotlib maintainers would want to make sure they support the very popular Ubuntu platform, even if a workaround for a bug elsewhere is needed.

K

One thing I just noticed is that python3.4 and the distutils libraries are installed at /usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/, but the setuptools is located at /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/. One of the oddities of setuptools is that it monkey-patches distutils, if I understand it correctly, so perhaps it isn’t doing it correctly for some reason? I haven’t a clue, really.

This oddity in directory structures was actually one thing I noticed in Ubuntu last summer/fall for py2.7 that broke a lot of things for me. I was in a rush at the time, so I just switched to anaconda, nuked everything python in my .local and moved on. That is always an option here, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this as well.

Ben Root

Keith

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)
/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/setuptools-14.3-py3.4.egg/setuptools/init.py

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

From: ben.v.root@…287… [ben.v.root@…287…] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…]

Keith,

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

It would be interesting to see if that path differs from the path of the egg you just listed.
Ben

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM, <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...> wrote:
pip still thinks I have the latest. I think it’s a question of how to force the matplotlib setup.py to use actually it.
Keith

Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/setuptools-14.3-py3.4.egg
Cleaning up…

From: ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287... [ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287...] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…mailto:ben.root@...3286....]

I would just use pip. Ubuntu/Debian has really messed up the python environment in more ways than one.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM, keithbriggs <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...<mailto:keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...4637.....>> wrote:
doesn’t get used.
Keith

Matplotlib-devel@…4638…35…sourceforge.netmailto:Matplotlib-devel@...4639....net

For my part, I didn’t take Keith’s comment as antagonizing. If anything, I should apologize to Sandro. It was not necessary for me to drag Debian into this, because all I know is that I was having issues on Ubuntu.

Ben Root

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell@…287…> wrote:

We do support ubuntu, travis.ci (which we use for continuous integration testing) is ubuntu based and my main development box is ubuntu (but I mostly work inside conda environments rather than virtualenvs these days). Even though it is the worst thing for a dev to say, ‘it works on my machine’.

Part of the problem here is that it looks like you are doing system-wide installations from source so you have almost certainly driven your system into an inconsistent state. Unless you know enough sys-admin magic to ensure you won’t step on the toes of the system packages, I strongly suggest never using sudo to install python packages. Either use venv/conda or install into a directory in your home directory and modify $PYTHONPATH as needed.

I know it is frustrating, but there isn’t a whole lot we can do to help you with you knowing exactly what you have done to your system.

In any case antagonizing the developers and the debian packager is not the most effective course of action. I assure you all of us are making a good faith effort to make sure mpl works everywhere. Starting from that assumption will make all of these conversations go much more smoothly. Also remember everyone responding to you on this list is a volunteer, please be respectful of our time and energy.

Tom

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM Benjamin Root <ben.root@…1304…> wrote:

We would too. This is the first time I have seen updating setuptools not work. That was the fix… I have no clue why it is broken on your system.

conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/_______________________________________________

Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@…1735…sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

K

Ben Root

Keith

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

Keith,

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

Ben

Keith

Cleaning up…

From: ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287... [ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287...] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…mailto:ben.root@...3286....]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM, keithbriggs <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...<mailto:keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...4637.....>> wrote:
doesn’t get used.
Keith

Matplotlib-devel@…4638…35…sourceforge.netmailto:Matplotlib-devel@...4639....net

Hmm, I can’t read and miss-attributed who was antagonizing Sandro, please don’t do that.

···

Tom

conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/_______________________________________________

K

Ben Root

Keith

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

Keith,

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

Ben

Keith

Cleaning up…

From: ben.v.root@…2015…87…mailto:ben.v.root@...287... [ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287...] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…mailto:ben.root@...1304...]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM, keithbriggs <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...<mailto:keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...>> wrote:
doesn’t get used.
Keith

Matplotlib-devel@…1735…sourceforge.netmailto:Matplotlib-devel@...564...net

“please don’t do that”

Yes, I will make sure that any antagonizing I do in the future, it will be completely clear that I am the one doing it. :wink:

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell@…287…> wrote:

Hmm, I can’t read and miss-attributed who was antagonizing Sandro, please don’t do that.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM Benjamin Root <ben.root@…1304…> wrote:

For my part, I didn’t take Keith’s comment as antagonizing. If anything, I should apologize to Sandro. It was not necessary for me to drag Debian into this, because all I know is that I was having issues on Ubuntu.

Ben Root

Tom

K

Ben Root

Keith

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

From: ben.v.root@…287… [ben.v.root@…287…] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…3421…]

Keith,

import setuptools
print(setuptools.file)

Ben

Keith

Cleaning up…

From: ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287... [ben.v.root@…287…mailto:ben.v.root@...287...] On Behalf Of Benjamin Root [ben.root@…1304…mailto:ben.root@...1304...]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM, keithbriggs <keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...<mailto:keith.briggs@…644…mailto:keith.briggs@...644...>> wrote:
doesn’t get used.
Keith

Matplotlib-devel@…1735…sourceforge.netmailto:Matplotlib-devel@...564...net