.matlab missing

I just became aware of matplotlib and have installed it (-0.83.1) on my
Slackware-10.1 workstations. When I tried to run some of the examples I see
this error:

[rshepard@...696... ~/development/python/matplotlib/examples]$ python wx_demo.py Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "wx_demo.py", line 3, in ?
     from matplotlib.matlab import *
ImportError: No module named matlab

   Sure enough, there's no matlab module. Now, I do have
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/mlab.py

   Is this the current version of matlab?

   I know I'll have questions, but I'm going to RTF(ine)M and tutorial first.

TIA,

Rich

···

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863

Rich Shepard wrote:

  I just became aware of matplotlib and have installed it (-0.83.1) on my
Slackware-10.1 workstations. When I tried to run some of the examples I see
this error:

[rshepard@...696... ~/development/python/matplotlib/examples]$ python wx_demo.py Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wx_demo.py", line 3, in ?
    from matplotlib.matlab import *
ImportError: No module named matlab

  Sure enough, there's no matlab module. Now, I do have
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/mlab.py

  Is this the current version of matlab?

  I know I'll have questions, but I'm going to RTF(ine)M and tutorial first.

That module has been renamed pylab. That demo must be out of date; since I do not see it in CVS, I presume it's gone now, and you don't have to worry about it.

···

--
Robert Kern
rkern@...376...

"In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
  Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
   -- Richard Harter

Hmmm-m-m. All the demos call it. So, I'll just change them to call pylab
and go on from there.

Many thanks,

Rich

···

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

That module has been renamed pylab. That demo must be out of date; since I
do not see it in CVS, I presume it's gone now, and you don't have to worry
about it.

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863

Rich Shepard wrote:

···

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

That module has been renamed pylab. That demo must be out of date; since I
do not see it in CVS, I presume it's gone now, and you don't have to worry
about it.

  Hmmm-m-m. All the demos call it. So, I'll just change them to call pylab
and go on from there.

Not in 0.83.1 they don't. Ignore the zip file on the front page of the website. It's old; the examples included with the source distribution are up-to-date.

--
Robert Kern
rkern@...376...

"In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
  Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
   -- Richard Harter

Ah! It was the .zip file I was using.

Thanks again,

Rich

···

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

Not in 0.83.1 they don't. Ignore the zip file on the front page of the
website. It's old; the examples included with the source distribution are
up-to-date.

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863