Malaren lake by Matplotlib Basemap

kkondo wrote:

Hello

I want to get the shoreline of Malaren lake as File:La3-demis-malaren.png - Wikipedia. But I find that the following Matplotlib-Basemap program does not draw its shoreline but its islands. Is it the flaw of GSHHS?

from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
m = Basemap(width=180000,height=90000,
            resolution='f',projection='tmerc',lon_0=17.5,lat_0=59.5)
plt.clf()
m.drawcoastlines()
m.fillcontinents(color='coral',lake_color='aqua')
m.drawmapboundary(fill_color='aqua')
m.drawrivers(color='b')
plt.show()

Sincerely,
Kentaro Kondo

Kentaro: Apparently it's a flaw in GSHHS. I tried the online line map creator at http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/cgi-bin/map-cgi.pl (which uses GMT, which is the source of GSSHS) and got the same thing. It's possible that it's fixed in the latest version of GSHHS (1.10) - I'll take a look and let you know.

-Jeff

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

kkondo wrote:

Hello

I want to get the shoreline of Malaren lake as File:La3-demis-malaren.png - Wikipedia. But I find that the following Matplotlib-Basemap program does not draw its shoreline but its islands. Is it the flaw of GSHHS?

from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
m = Basemap(width=180000,height=90000,
            resolution='f',projection='tmerc',lon_0=17.5,lat_0=59.5)
plt.clf()
m.drawcoastlines()
m.fillcontinents(color='coral',lake_color='aqua')
m.drawmapboundary(fill_color='aqua')
m.drawrivers(color='b')
plt.show()

Sincerely,
Kentaro Kondo

Kentaro: Apparently it's a flaw in GSHHS. I tried the online line map creator at http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/cgi-bin/map-cgi.pl (which uses GMT, which is the source of GSSHS) and got the same thing. It's possible that it's fixed in the latest version of GSHHS (1.10) - I'll take a look and let you know.

-Jeff

Kentaro: The problem still exists in GSHHS 1.10. I don't know what to suggest other than using a shapefile to plot the lakes in that region, if you can find one.

-Jeff