make.osx: should it set --prefix=$PREFIX ?

Jouni K. Sepp�nen <jks@...278...> writes:

Fernando Garcia Bermudez <fgb@...926...> writes:

Fine by me as well. Maybe modify the documentation to point to
mpl_install_std. How should we proceed?

I'll make some other cleanups and create some commits that you can
include in your pull request.

I did this now and created a pull request for you, so if you pull it
into your branch, it should update your pull request. I realized it's
unnecessary to have all those shell commands to export the variables,
since make can export them for us.

I tried out the other targets, but I couldn't get "binaries" to
work. The bdist_mpkg plugin complains something about a lacking 64-bit
wxpython. Could someone who has previously been able to create the
installer try it on my make.osx branch? (That is,

  git add remote jkseppan git://github.com/jkseppan/matplotlib.git
  git fetch jkseppan
  git checkout jkseppan/make.osx
  make -f make.osx clean deps mpl_build binaries PYVERSION=2.6 PREFIX=...)

This change will likely not merge cleanly into master; if people agree
to merge this into the maintenance branch, I can do the merge into
master.

···

--
Jouni K. Sepp�nen
http://www.iki.fi/jks

Jouni,

While in the middle of overhauling make.osx, I think it makes sense to go ahead and fix the ARCH_FLAGS variable, and then use it throughout in place of the hardwired ARCH_FLAGS. That will make it easier to use the makefile on a range of OS X and Xcode versions. It is also simply a cleaner design.

Newer versions of the libraries can also be used, although this is not critical. v1.0.x still needs the 1.2 series of libpng, but master can now handle

ZLIBVERSION=1.2.5
PNGVERSION=1.5.1
FREETYPEVERSION=2.4.4

Eric

···

On 03/05/2011 12:03 AM, Jouni K. Seppänen wrote:

Jouni K. Seppänen<jks@...278...> writes:

Fernando Garcia Bermudez<fgb@...926...> writes:

Fine by me as well. Maybe modify the documentation to point to
mpl_install_std. How should we proceed?

I'll make some other cleanups and create some commits that you can
include in your pull request.

I did this now and created a pull request for you, so if you pull it
into your branch, it should update your pull request. I realized it's
unnecessary to have all those shell commands to export the variables,
since make can export them for us.

I tried out the other targets, but I couldn't get "binaries" to
work. The bdist_mpkg plugin complains something about a lacking 64-bit
wxpython. Could someone who has previously been able to create the
installer try it on my make.osx branch? (That is,

   git add remote jkseppan git://github.com/jkseppan/matplotlib.git
   git fetch jkseppan
   git checkout jkseppan/make.osx
   make -f make.osx clean deps mpl_build binaries PYVERSION=2.6 PREFIX=...)

This change will likely not merge cleanly into master; if people agree
to merge this into the maintenance branch, I can do the merge into
master.

I tested your changes (up to mpl_install_std) and merged the pull request. Upon solving the binaries issue we could probably close this pull request. Or we could open an issue for that particular matter.

– Fernando

···

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 02:03, Jouni K. Seppänen <jks@…942…> wrote:

Jouni K. Seppänen <jks@…278…> writes:

Fernando Garcia Bermudez <fgb@…924…26…> writes:

Fine by me as well. Maybe modify the documentation to point to

mpl_install_std. How should we proceed?

I’ll make some other cleanups and create some commits that you can

include in your pull request.

I did this now and created a pull request for you, so if you pull it

into your branch, it should update your pull request. I realized it’s

unnecessary to have all those shell commands to export the variables,

since make can export them for us.

I tried out the other targets, but I couldn’t get “binaries” to

work. The bdist_mpkg plugin complains something about a lacking 64-bit

wxpython. Could someone who has previously been able to create the

installer try it on my make.osx branch? (That is,

git add remote jkseppan git://github.com/jkseppan/matplotlib.git

git fetch jkseppan

git checkout jkseppan/make.osx

make -f make.osx clean deps mpl_build binaries PYVERSION=2.6 PREFIX=…)

This change will likely not merge cleanly into master; if people agree

to merge this into the maintenance branch, I can do the merge into

master.

Jouni K. Seppänen

http://www.iki.fi/jks


What You Don’t Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You

This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details

its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative

solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d


Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

We have to make sure to check/update the urls to the new versions of these dependencies. I’m unsure whether having variables for the versions makes sense when the urls change over time (e.g.: the libpng currently in use in make.osx was moved into the older-releases folder of the libpng repo, prompting the need for this pull request in the first place).

– Fernando

···

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:34, Eric Firing <efiring@…229…> wrote:

Newer versions of the libraries can also be used, although this is not

critical. v1.0.x still needs the 1.2 series of libpng, but master can

now handle

ZLIBVERSION=1.2.5

PNGVERSION=1.5.1

FREETYPEVERSION=2.4.4