Mac OS X build instructions

I'm going through and removing old and deprecated information from the source tree.

I'm noticing that there are two makefiles for OS-X, one at ./make.osx and one in release/osx/Makefile. The former was updated in Sep 2010, the latter in Mar 2010. Our installation (installing.rst) recommends using the one in release/osx.

Also, the README.txt at the root of the source tree seems to be related to the Mac OS-X binary installer. We should probably move this elsewhere and put generic information in this file.

I'm not actually trying to build on OS-X, I haven't in many years, and I haven't really followed any of the mailing list threads on this topic -- so maybe that makes me a good example of a user coming to this blind and saying: "hey, there's two ways to do it, which is the right one?"

Mike

···

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Space Telescope Science Institute
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

I think they can and should be consolidated, or at least their core functionality should be consolidated. release/osx/Makefile was for official releases, so it includes an "upload" target; ./make.osx was for users to use in building from the repo, so it has gotten most of the updating attention.

If the developers with the most OS-X expertise (and that does not include me) could pool that expertise and come up with a more solid framework and documentation for building under OS-X, it might relieve a lot of the frustration that has been expressed on the mailing lists.

Eric

···

On 04/01/2011 05:01 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:

I'm going through and removing old and deprecated information from the
source tree.

I'm noticing that there are two makefiles for OS-X, one at ./make.osx
and one in release/osx/Makefile. The former was updated in Sep 2010,
the latter in Mar 2010. Our installation (installing.rst) recommends
using the one in release/osx.

Also, the README.txt at the root of the source tree seems to be related
to the Mac OS-X binary installer. We should probably move this
elsewhere and put generic information in this file.

I'm not actually trying to build on OS-X, I haven't in many years, and I
haven't really followed any of the mailing list threads on this topic --
so maybe that makes me a good example of a user coming to this blind and
saying: "hey, there's two ways to do it, which is the right one?"

Mike