legend: axespad, pad, handlelen, labelsep - without effect

Hi,

please open the legend_demo3:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/legend_demo3.py

1. add this line:
pylab.rc('legend', axespad=0.0, pad=0.0, handlelen=0.0, labelsep=0.0)

2. add this line:
pylab.rc('legend', axespad=10.0, pad=10.0, handlelen=10.0, labelsep=10.0)

Why all these parameters have no effect? In this two cases I see the same
plot...

···


View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/legend%3A-axespad%2C-pad%2C-handlelen%2C-labelsep---without-effect-tp21087472p21087472.html
Sent from the matplotlib - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

The legend class has been reimplemented recently and the name of some
keyword arguments (and their meaning) has been changed. Those
parameters you're using are deprecated ones. It is supposed to show
you some warnings if deprecated parameters are used, so what you see
is a bug. I'll take a look. I also noticed that the documentaion of
the pylab.legend is outdated. Take a look at

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/artist_api.html#module-matplotlib.legend

These are lists of deprecated parameteres

                 pad = None, # deprecated; use borderpad
                 labelsep = None, # deprecated; use labelspacing
                 handlelen = None, # deprecated; use handlelength
                 handletextsep = None, # deprecated; use handletextpad
                 axespad = None, # deprecated; use borderaxespad

So,

  pylab.rc('legend', borderaxespad=0.0, borderpad=0.0,
handlelength=0.0, labelspacing=0.0)

should work.

Thanks,

-JJ

···

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Lebostein <Lebostein@...380...> wrote:

Hi,

please open the legend_demo3:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/legend_demo3.py

1. add this line:
pylab.rc('legend', axespad=0.0, pad=0.0, handlelen=0.0, labelsep=0.0)

2. add this line:
pylab.rc('legend', axespad=10.0, pad=10.0, handlelen=10.0, labelsep=10.0)

Why all these parameters have no effect? In this two cases I see the same
plot…

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/legend%3A-axespad%2C-pad%2C-handlelen%2C-labelsep---without-effect-tp21087472p21087472.html
Sent from the matplotlib - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Jae-Joon,

I don't think these changes ever made it into doc/api/api_changes.rst.
Could you update that file in the branch, and I'll push it out the
web site.

Thanks,
JDH

···

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jae-Joon Lee <lee.j.joon@...287...> wrote:

The legend class has been reimplemented recently and the name of some
keyword arguments (and their meaning) has been changed. Those
parameters you're using are deprecated ones. It is supposed to show
you some warnings if deprecated parameters are used, so what you see
is a bug. I'll take a look. I also noticed that the documentaion of
the pylab.legend is outdated. Take a look at

John,

I updated api_chages.rst (but you'd better check my english). I also
made a few changes so that a warning is issued when deprecated
parameters are used in rc file. I deleted deprecated parameters in
lib/matplotlib/rcsetup.py and also from
lib/matplotlib/mpl-data/matplotlib.conf.template. I did my own test
and it worked well for me, and I hope it does not cause any problem.

Regards,

-JJ

···

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jae-Joon Lee <lee.j.joon@...287...> wrote:

The legend class has been reimplemented recently and the name of some
keyword arguments (and their meaning) has been changed. Those
parameters you're using are deprecated ones. It is supposed to show
you some warnings if deprecated parameters are used, so what you see
is a bug. I'll take a look. I also noticed that the documentaion of
the pylab.legend is outdated. Take a look at

Jae-Joon,

I don't think these changes ever made it into doc/api/api_changes.rst.
Could you update that file in the branch, and I'll push it out the
web site.

Thanks,
JDH

Thank You!

···


View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/legend%3A-axespad%2C-pad%2C-handlelen%2C-labelsep---without-effect-tp21087472p21109685.html
Sent from the matplotlib - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.