Labels clipped

I'm plotting a small png for use on a web page and finding that the x and y labels are not being displayed. If I increase the size of the figure using figsize then all is ok. I've tried x/yaxis.set_clip_on(False) and axes([..]) without success. How can I decrease the size of the actual graph so that the labels are displayed?

Robert

PS If it makes a difference the code I'm using is based on the coloured background region code supplied by John Hunter, i.e. there are 4 subplots, each with a Rectangle and a scatter plot overlaid on the 4 Rectangles.

I wrote:

How can I decrease the size of the actual graph so that the labels are displayed?

The answer seems to be to use the following after drawing the graph:
     ax = gca()
     ax.set_position([0.2,0.2,0.6,0.6])

This was taken from the mailing list discussion on GnuPlot's 'set size ratio' command - (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5562487&forum_id=33405)

Is this the correct approach?

Robert

PS One thing that I am having trouble getting my head around fully is how best to handle the coding, i.e. I'd prefer to use the class library approach as I like it's clean, well structured nature, but a number of techniques, such as the above, are written/illustrated using the Pylab/Matlab commands which I find difficult to translate into the class library code. What is the best approach to getting up the learning curve? Are there any problems with mixing the two approaches in the one code base?