Is scatter method's linestyles keyword argument being ignored (in SVN)?

Hi,

When using scatter plotting method and linestyles argument the output seems to ignore the linestyles keyword value at least in SVN. Can someone confirm this or did I misunderstood the functionality?

I am trying to make a plot where the colour of the line changes as a function of data value, but I don't want that each point (marker) is plotted separately, but that the colour changes smoothly. I believe scatter method could be used when optional arguments "c = values" and linestyles = 'solid' are used. However, independent what the linestyles argument value is, I always get the markers plotted and no line appears.

Cheers,
Sami

Example code (markers, but no solid line!?):

import numpy as np
import pylab as p

data = np.arange(10)

p.scatter(data, data, c = data, s = data*10, linestyles = 'solid')

Sami-Matias Niemi wrote:

Hi,

When using scatter plotting method and linestyles argument the output seems to ignore the linestyles keyword value at least in SVN. Can someone confirm this or did I misunderstood the functionality?

Yes, scatter is designed to plot markers only, and it does ignore the linestyles kw.

I am trying to make a plot where the colour of the line changes as a function of data value, but I don't want that each point (marker) is plotted separately, but that the colour changes smoothly. I believe scatter method could be used when optional arguments "c = values" and linestyles = 'solid' are used. However, independent what the linestyles argument value is, I always get the markers plotted and no line appears.

We don't have anything that gives this behavior directly, but it can be simulated with a LineCollection. See http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/MulticoloredLine.

Eric

ยทยทยท

Cheers,
Sami

Example code (markers, but no solid line!?):

import numpy as np
import pylab as p

data = np.arange(10)

p.scatter(data, data, c = data, s = data*10, linestyles = 'solid')

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev