Installing TKAgg Backend with matplotlib svn

I use Ipython and ubuntu. I had the default ubuntu package installed with v99.1. I upgraded to the svn version and installed it because I needed some new functionality with turning the right and top axis off that I couldn't get to work in the default ubuntu version. I have no problems running but the backend for TKAgg isn't included. So I have to change it to Agg. Is there any default graphical backends installed? Is there away to install this after or run the install so this backend is included. It just looks like it tries to import it but doesn't find it included in the matplotlib files.

Did a search for this but I can't find the solution so sorry if this is really easy?

Cheers,
Jeff

···

--

The build process for matplotlib looks for various external modules to determine which backends are able to be built. A really neat trick for developers on Linux systems that use apt-get is the build-dep command. This command will find and install all of the dependencies needed for building a particular package without installing that package.

So, if the package that is available in the Ubuntu repos is called “python-matplotlib” (I can’t remember the exact name), you can run:

sudo apt-get build-dep python-matplotlib

and all necessary packages for building matplotlib from source will be installed (without installing matplotlib itself!). Once that is done, you can then redo the build and install process for matplotlib from svn and everything should work properly.

I hope that helps!
Ben Root

···

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Jeffrey Spencer <jeffspencerd@…287…> wrote:

I use Ipython and ubuntu. I had the default ubuntu package installed

with v99.1. I upgraded to the svn version and installed it because I

needed some new functionality with turning the right and top axis off

that I couldn’t get to work in the default ubuntu version. I have no

problems running but the backend for TKAgg isn’t included. So I have to

change it to Agg. Is there any default graphical backends installed? Is

there away to install this after or run the install so this backend is

included. It just looks like it tries to import it but doesn’t find it