installation problems

On an iMac running 10.6.3, python 2.6.4 I have installed numpy and then matplotlib using 'pip'.
The message in both cases was that the install was successful.

'import matplotlib' does not cause error messages.
'from pylab import randn, hist' gets a traceback with the message "ImportError: No module named ma"

How do I get matplotlib to work?

Thank you for any help.

Christopher

···

------

from pylab import randn, hist

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:62: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5, os, re, shutil, sys, warnings
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pytz/tzinfo.py:5: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  from sets import Set
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
    from matplotlib.pylab import *
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 206, in <module>
    from matplotlib.numerix import npyma as ma
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/numerix/__init__.py", line 166, in <module>
    __import__('ma', g, l)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/numerix/ma/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
    from numpy.core.ma import *
ImportError: No module named ma
------

On an iMac running 10.6.3, python 2.6.4 I have installed numpy and then matplotlib using 'pip'.
The message in both cases was that the install was successful.

'import matplotlib' does not cause error messages.
'from pylab import randn, hist' gets a traceback with the message "ImportError: No module named ma"

How do I get matplotlib to work?

Delete your old versions, and install up-to-date versions of numpy and matplotlib. I don't know anything about pip, but it found you an ancient version of mpl that is incompatible with your version of numpy.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html

Eric

···

On 06/12/2010 12:57 PM, Christopher Brewster wrote:

Thank you for any help.

Christopher

------

from pylab import randn, hist

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:62: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
   import md5, os, re, shutil, sys, warnings
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pytz/tzinfo.py:5: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
   from sets import Set
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in<module>
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 206, in<module>
     from matplotlib.numerix import npyma as ma
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/numerix/__init__.py", line 166, in<module>
     __import__('ma', g, l)
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/numerix/ma/__init__.py", line 16, in<module>
     from numpy.core.ma import *
ImportError: No module named ma
------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo