Installation Problems on Mac OS X

I was able to install from the .egg file. I'm still getting the same error when attempting to import though. Namely:

>>>from pylab import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.87.6-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.87.6-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 220, in <module>
     new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.87.6-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line 23, in pylab_setup
     globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.87.6-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/matplotlib/backends/backend_wxagg.py", line 19, in <module>
     import wx
ImportError: No module named wx

Do I need to download and install the wx module or is there a way to check and see if I have another backend available that I can use with matplotlib and a way to tell matplotlib to use it?

···

--

R. Padraic Springuel
Teaching Assistant
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Maine
Bennett 309
Office Hours: Wednesday 2-3pm