install problem on OSX 10.8

I’m having some trouble compiling matplotlib, and I’m not sure how to fix it. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed given the following traceback?

Thanks,

-Ranjit

building ‘matplotlib.ft2font’ extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Os -I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include/libpng12 -arch i386 -DPY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL=MPL_ARRAY_API -DPYCXX_ISO_CPP_LIB=1 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11/include -I/opt/getaround/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11/include -I. -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/opt/getaround/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I./freetype2 -I/opt/getaround/include/python2.7 -c src/ft2font.cpp -o build/temp.macosx-10.4-i386-2.7/src/ft2font.o
src/ft2font.cpp: In instantiation of ‘std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits, _Alloc = std::allocator]’:
src/ft2font.cpp:854: instantiated from here
src/ft2font.cpp:854: error: explicit instantiation of ‘std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits, _Alloc = std::allocator]’ but no definition available
src/ft2font.cpp: In instantiation of ‘std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits, _Alloc = std::allocator]’:
src/ft2font.cpp:854: error: explicit instantiation of ‘std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits, _Alloc = std::allocator]’ but no definition available
error: command ‘gcc’ failed with exit status 1

Which version of matplotlib? How are you building it (i.e., what set of directions are you following)?

Ben Root

···

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Ranjit Chacko <ranjit@…4211…> wrote:

I’m having some trouble compiling matplotlib, and I’m not sure how to fix it. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed given the following traceback?

Thanks,

-Ranjit