Importing pyplot crashes python

Hi,

I decided to upgrade to matoplotlib 0.99.1. I'm on Windows XP. I downloaded matplotlib-0.99.1.win32-py2.5.exe and ran it. It seemed to install. Now when I try "from matplotlib import pyplot", Python crashes with one of those "pythonw has encountered a problem and needs to close" messages. I tried uninstalling matplotlib, and I also uninstalled SciPy and upgraded that to the latest version (0.7.1) and then reinstalled matplotlib. Still crashes. Importing numpy on its own works, as does importing matplotlib on its own.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,

···

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
    --author unknown

What does the command `python.exe -v -c "from matplotlib import pylab"`
say?

MPL 0.99.1 contains a bug (#2903460) that crashes the _path module on
slow Pentium CPUs (at least when using Python 2.6). A updated installer
is available at <Archived: Python Extension Packages for Windows - Christoph Gohlke.

It might help to add the path where python.exe is installed to the
Windows search path. E.g. try `SET PATH=C:\Python25;%PATH%` before
running your program.

Christoph

···

On 1/21/2010 11:06 PM, Brendan Barnwell wrote:

Hi,

I decided to upgrade to matoplotlib 0.99.1. I'm on Windows XP. I
downloaded matplotlib-0.99.1.win32-py2.5.exe and ran it. It seemed to
install. Now when I try "from matplotlib import pyplot", Python
crashes with one of those "pythonw has encountered a problem and needs
to close" messages. I tried uninstalling matplotlib, and I also
uninstalled SciPy and upgraded that to the latest version (0.7.1) and
then reinstalled matplotlib. Still crashes. Importing numpy on its
own works, as does importing matplotlib on its own.

Thanks,

Brendan Barnwell wrote:

Hi,

I decided to upgrade to matoplotlib 0.99.1. I'm on Windows XP. I downloaded matplotlib-0.99.1.win32-py2.5.exe and ran it. It seemed to install. Now when I try "from matplotlib import pyplot", Python crashes with one of those "pythonw has encountered a problem and needs to close" messages. I tried uninstalling matplotlib, and I also uninstalled SciPy and upgraded that to the latest version (0.7.1) and then reinstalled matplotlib. Still crashes. Importing numpy on its own works, as does importing matplotlib on its own.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Python 2.5.2. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Best wishes,

···

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
    --author unknown