I have a Mac!

A few hints:

If you just want to build matplotlib for your own computer (and don't
care about making an installer that will work on anybody else's) then
you can install from source with very little trouble:
- You may want to edit setupext.py to limit searching to those dirs that
really matter, but this is only needed if you have installed extras that
might conflict.
- You may want to edit setup.cfg to select a better default back end.

You have to be much more careful if you want to build a binary installer
that can be used by others. I've found that bdist_mpkg works, and I've
found it is safest to build on the oldest platform I want the installer
to support (for example /usr/X11/lib moved in 10.8 or 10.7 in a way that
is forward but not backwards compatible).

For Apple's python you need install anything; all you need is in
/usr/lib and /usr/X11/lib. I have no idea if TkAgg works well.

For python.org python you should install a version of Tcl/Tk. I suggest
ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5.11. Be warned that versions 8.5.12, 8.5.12.1,
8.5.13 all have known crashing problems; I have not tried 8.5.14 (which
came out fairly recently) as 8.5.11 seems to do well enough.

I've cannot comment on building matplotlib for macports, fink or
homebrew.

-- Russell

In article <520E3818.8060009@...31...>,
Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...>
wrote:

···

We actually discussed this very issue yesterday in our Google hangout
about continuous integration. We're probably going to need to script a
full setup from a clean Mac + XCode to a working matplotlib development
environment in order to make that happen, and obviously that will be
shared with the world. Things are even more complex on Windows, and I'd
like to do that there, too. So stay tuned.

Mike

On 08/16/2013 10:02 AM, Paul Hobson wrote:
> Mike,
>
> That's great news. Is there any chance we can look forward to
> "official" instructions for setting up a Mac to develop matplotlib?
>
> I gave up a long time ago and started piecing to together my meager
> PRs in a linux VM.
> -paul
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Michael Droettboom > > <mdroe@…31… > > <mailto:mdroe@…31…>> wrote:
>
> Thanks to the gracious donation from Hans Petter Langtangen and the
> Center for Biomedical Computing at Simula
> (http://home.simula.no/~hpl <http://home.simula.no/~hpl>),
> I now have a new Mac Mini sitting at my desk. This should allow me to
> keep on top of changes that affect the Mac builds and to better track
> down Mac-only issues.
>
> Stay tuned over the next few weeks and months as we will most
> likely be
> using some more of these funds to pay for hosted continuous
> integration
> services (as discussed yesterday in our MEP19 Google Hangout).
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

That is handy information. I’ll start adding a python.org target.

How broad coverage do we want?
10.6, 10.7, 10.8

system, python.org (2.7, 3.3), brew, macports

virtualenv, no virtualenv

with/without third party X

The testing matrix blows up pretty quickly. For those of you with longer memories, where are the corners where things tend to break?

-matt

···

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Russell E. Owen <rowen@…748…> wrote:

A few hints:

If you just want to build matplotlib for your own computer (and don’t

care about making an installer that will work on anybody else’s) then

you can install from source with very little trouble:

  • You may want to edit setupext.py to limit searching to those dirs that

really matter, but this is only needed if you have installed extras that

might conflict.

  • You may want to edit setup.cfg to select a better default back end.

You have to be much more careful if you want to build a binary installer

that can be used by others. I’ve found that bdist_mpkg works, and I’ve

found it is safest to build on the oldest platform I want the installer

to support (for example /usr/X11/lib moved in 10.8 or 10.7 in a way that

is forward but not backwards compatible).

For Apple’s python you need install anything; all you need is in

/usr/lib and /usr/X11/lib. I have no idea if TkAgg works well.

For python.org python you should install a version of Tcl/Tk. I suggest

ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5.11. Be warned that versions 8.5.12, 8.5.12.1,

8.5.13 all have known crashing problems; I have not tried 8.5.14 (which

came out fairly recently) as 8.5.11 seems to do well enough.

I’ve cannot comment on building matplotlib for macports, fink or

homebrew.

– Russell

In article <520E3818.8060009@…31…>,

Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…31…>
wrote:

We actually discussed this very issue yesterday in our Google hangout

about continuous integration. We’re probably going to need to script a

full setup from a clean Mac + XCode to a working matplotlib development

environment in order to make that happen, and obviously that will be

shared with the world. Things are even more complex on Windows, and I’d

like to do that there, too. So stay tuned.

Mike

On 08/16/2013 10:02 AM, Paul Hobson wrote:

Mike,

That’s great news. Is there any chance we can look forward to

“official” instructions for setting up a Mac to develop matplotlib?

I gave up a long time ago and started piecing to together my meager

PRs in a linux VM.

-paul

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Michael Droettboom

<mdroe@…31…

mailto:mdroe@...31...> wrote:

Thanks to the gracious donation from Hans Petter Langtangen and the
Center for Biomedical Computing at Simula
([http://home.simula.no/~hpl](http://home.simula.no/~hpl) <[http://home.simula.no/%7Ehpl](http://home.simula.no/%7Ehpl)>),
I now have a new Mac Mini sitting at my desk.  This should allow me to
keep on top of changes that affect the Mac builds and to better track
down Mac-only issues.
Stay tuned over the next few weeks and months as we will most
likely be
using some more of these funds to pay for hosted continuous
integration
services (as discussed yesterday in our MEP19 Google Hangout).
Cheers,
Mike

Introducing Performance Central, a new site from SourceForge and

AppDynamics. Performance Central is your source for news, insights,

analysis and resources for efficient Application Performance Management.

Visit us today!

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=48897511&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk


Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Yes, it’s a big testing matrix, but I think we can treat it as
sparser than it really is.
For example, I don’t think it matters too much if we test
with/without third party X with every version number of Python…
Time will tell exactly what needs to be tested based on bug reports
of side cases we didn’t catch.
Also, would it make sense to move your mpl_on_travis_mac project to
the matplotlib organization (and then add you as a developer over
there?)
Mike

···

On 08/20/2013 08:33 PM, Matt Terry
wrote:

That is handy information. I’ll start adding a python.org
target.

How broad coverage do we want?

          10.6, 10.7, 10.8

system, python.org
(2.7, 3.3), brew, macports

virtualenv, no virtualenv

with/without third party X

        The testing matrix blows up pretty quickly.  For those of

you with longer memories, where are the corners where things
tend to break?

-matt

      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM,

Russell E. Owen <rowen@…748…>
wrote:

        A few

hints:

        If you just want to build matplotlib for your own computer

(and don’t

        care about making an installer that will work on anybody

else’s) then

        you can install from source with very little trouble:

        - You may want to edit setupext.py to limit searching to

those dirs that

        really matter, but this is only needed if you have installed

extras that

        might conflict.

        - You may want to edit setup.cfg to select a better default

back end.

        You have to be much more careful if you want to build a

binary installer

        that can be used by others. I've found that bdist_mpkg

works, and I’ve

        found it is safest to build on the oldest platform I want

the installer

        to support (for example /usr/X11/lib moved in 10.8 or 10.7

in a way that

        is forward but not backwards compatible).



        For Apple's python you need install anything; all you need

is in

        /usr/lib and /usr/X11/lib. I have no idea if TkAgg works

well.

        For [python.org](http://python.org) python you should install a

version of Tcl/Tk. I suggest

        ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5.11. Be warned that versions 8.5.12,

8.5.12.1,

        8.5.13 all have known crashing problems; I have not tried

8.5.14 (which

        came out fairly recently) as 8.5.11 seems to do well enough.



        I've cannot comment on building matplotlib for macports,

fink or

        homebrew.



        -- Russell



        In article <520E3818.8060009@...31...>,

         Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...>

wrote:

          > We actually discussed this very issue yesterday in

our Google hangout

          > about continuous integration. We're probably going to

need to script a

          > full setup from a clean Mac + XCode to a working

matplotlib development

          > environment in order to make that happen, and

obviously that will be

          > shared with the world.  Things are even more complex

on Windows, and I’d

          > like to do that there, too.  So stay tuned.

          >

          > Mike

          >

          > On 08/16/2013 10:02 AM, Paul Hobson wrote:

          > > Mike,

          > >

          > > That's great news. Is there any chance we can

look forward to

          > > "official" instructions for setting up a Mac to

develop matplotlib?

          > >

          > > I gave up a long time ago and started piecing to

together my meager

          > > PRs in a linux VM.

          > > -paul

          > >

          > >

          > > On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Michael

Droettboom

          > > <mdroe@...31...

<mailto:mdroe@…31… >>
wrote:

          > >

          > >     Thanks to the gracious donation from Hans

Petter Langtangen and the

          > >     Center for Biomedical Computing at Simula
([http://home.simula.no/~hpl](http://home.simula.no/%7Ehpl)
        <[http://home.simula.no/%7Ehpl](http://home.simula.no/%7Ehpl)>),
          > >     I now have a new Mac

Mini sitting at my desk. This should allow me to

          > >     keep on top of changes that affect the Mac

builds and to better track

          > >     down Mac-only issues.

          > >

          > >     Stay tuned over the next few weeks and

months as we will most

          > >     likely be

          > >     using some more of these funds to pay for

hosted continuous

          > >     integration

          > >     services (as discussed yesterday in our

MEP19 Google Hangout).

          > >

          > >     Cheers,

          > >     Mike

          Introducing Performance Central, a

new site from SourceForge and

          AppDynamics. Performance Central is your source for news,

insights,

          analysis and resources for efficient Application

Performance Management.

          Visit us today!

          [http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=48897511&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk](http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=48897511&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk)

            Matplotlib-devel mailing list

            Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

            [https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel](https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introducing Performance Central, a new site from SourceForge and AppDynamics. Performance Central is your source for news, insights, analysis and resources for efficient Application Performance Management. Visit us today!
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=48897511&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrkMatplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel