how to set figure to appear on another monitor?

Dear all,

I have two different monitors. How can I use plot command within terminal in this monitor and set the figure to show defaultly in another one?

thanks,

Chao

···

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex

Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16

Hello,

I have a similar question posted on SO → http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7802366/matplotlib-window-layout-questions

With few extra commands you can get your figures appearing on your second monitor. However, SetPosition behavior is somewhat unpredictable. When I pass a large x value it tendsmove the figure to my second monitor. What would be nice is to mpl to remember the last window position and size --say for instance for particular plots I always want to view figures in maximized window and placed on the second monitor.

···

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Chao YUE <chaoyuejoy@…287…> wrote:

Dear all,

I have two different monitors. How can I use plot command within terminal in this monitor and set the figure to show defaultly in another one?

thanks,

Chao

Gökhan

This is more an issue with how the GUI toolkit interacts with the desktop manager. I think there are some existing PRs (or at least wishlist items) for supplying additional data down to the figure object. The person who did that feature was then going to set a windowing rule of some sort for his window manager to handle mpl figures specially.

As far as I know, the feature never got added. Maybe someone else could resurrect that work?

Cheers!

Ben Root

···

On Wednesday, May 23, 2012, Gökhan Sever wrote:

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Chao YUE <chaoyuejoy@…287…> wrote:

Dear all,

thanks,

Chao

Hello,

I have a similar question posted on SO → http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7802366/matplotlib-window-layout-questions

With few extra commands you can get your figures appearing on your second monitor. However, SetPosition behavior is somewhat unpredictable. When I pass a large x value it tendsmove the figure to my second monitor. What would be nice is to mpl to remember the last window position and size --say for instance for particular plots I always want to view figures in maximized window and placed on the second monitor.