How to make imshow pictures into animation, or through multiple PNG pictures into animation

Dear Matplotlib Team,
I normally try to animate multiple pictures in the simulation results, but the program always reports errors. I don’t know why. Here are my two kinds of code

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import matplotlib.animation as animation
fig = plt.figure()

ims = []
for i in range(1,11):
    im=plt.imread(str(j)+".png")
    ims.append([im])
ani = animation.ArtistAnimation(fig,ims)
ani.save("sin.gif",writer=writer)
plt.show()
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import matplotlib.animation as animation

fig, ax = plt.subplots()

# ims is a list of lists, each row is a list of artists to draw in the
# current frame; here we are just animating one artist, the image, in
# each frame
ims = []
for j in range(0,10):

im = data[73][j-1].z.plane(z=1e-9).mpl_scalar(cmap='RdBu',filter_field=data[73][j-1].norm,colorbar=False,interpolation='bilinear', animated=True)
    if i == 0:
        data[73][0].z.plane(z=1e-9).mpl_scalar(cmap='RdBu',filter_field=data[73][j-1].norm,colorbar=False,interpolation='bilinear')  
    ims.append([im])

ani = animation.ArtistAnimation(fig, ims)

# To save the animation, use e.g.
#
ani.save('demo_6.gif',writer='pillow')

plt.show()

The data.plane.mpl() inherits the plt.Imshow() function in Matplotlib. After I run these programs, I report the following error:

AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in saving(self, fig, outfile, dpi, *args, **kwargs)
    250         try:
--> 251             yield self
    252         finally:

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in save(self, filename, writer, fps, dpi, codec, bitrate, extra_args, metadata, extra_anim, savefig_kwargs, progress_callback)
   1143             for anim in all_anim:
-> 1144                 anim._init_draw()  # Clear the initial frame
   1145             frame_number = 0

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in _init_draw(self)
   1506             for artist in f:
-> 1507                 artist.set_visible(False)
   1508                 artist.set_animated(self._blit)

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'set_visible'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

IndexError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-15-30f3d922a496> in <module>
     23 # To save the animation, use e.g.
     24 #
---> 25 ani.save('demo_6.gif',writer='pillow')

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in save(self, filename, writer, fps, dpi, codec, bitrate, extra_args, metadata, extra_anim, savefig_kwargs, progress_callback)
   1159                         progress_callback(frame_number, total_frames)
   1160                         frame_number += 1
-> 1161                 writer.grab_frame(**savefig_kwargs)
   1163     def _step(self, *args):

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/contextlib.py in __exit__(self, type, value, traceback)
    129                 value = type()
    130             try:
--> 131                 self.gen.throw(type, value, traceback)
    132             except StopIteration as exc:
    133                 # Suppress StopIteration *unless* it's the same exception that

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in saving(self, fig, outfile, dpi, *args, **kwargs)
    251             yield self
    252         finally:
--> 253             self.finish()

~/miniconda3/envs/ubermag/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/animation.py in finish(self)
    553     def finish(self):
--> 554         self._frames[0].save(
    555             self.outfile, save_all=True, append_images=self._frames[1:],
    556             duration=int(1000 / self.fps), loop=0)

IndexError: list index out of range

I don’t know what caused list index out of range. Can you help me?

My first guess is that data[73][j-1].z.plane(z=1e-9).mpl_scalar(cmap='RdBu',filter_field=data[73][j-1].norm,colorbar=False,interpolation='bilinear', animated=True) is returning None rather than the Artist that ArtistAnimation is expecting. Can you try print(ims) and see what that looks like?

Thank you for your help. Your guess is correct. ````print (ims)``` did return None. Could you tell me how to solve this problem? Thank you again for your help!

Have the method mpl_scalar(cmap='RdBu',filter_field=data[73][j-1].norm,colorbar=False,interpolation='bilinear', animated=True) return the image object. Can you share the code?