hexbin log bins and colorbar

Dear matplotters,
encouraged from the excellent response times to my last problem, I am trying to explore more features of matplotlib.

My current problem is with hexbin.
I have been using numpy.histogram2d and imshow so far for 2d histograms, but I must admit that hexbin looks quite pretty.

In order to emphasize small differences over a large scale, I am using hexbin with the bins=‘log’ option.
The result is very nice, but when I add a pyplot.colorbar(), I would like to have the original number of entries on the ticks, not their log10.

Ideally, I’d change the yaxis of the colorbar to a logscale, and use numpy.power(10, yaxis_values) on it.
I think colorbar().ax.set_yscale(‘log’) should do what I need for the first part, but how do I get the original number of entries back, rather than their log10.
I could cheat and simply replace each ticklabel with 10^ticklabel, but I don’t even know how to do that.

Thanks for any pointers,
Cheers,
Jan

Jan Strube wrote:

Dear matplotters,
encouraged from the excellent response times to my last problem, I am trying to explore more features of matplotlib.

I have been using numpy.histogram2d and imshow so far for 2d histograms, but I must admit that hexbin looks quite pretty.

In order to emphasize small differences over a large scale, I am using hexbin with the bins='log' option.
The result is very nice, but when I add a pyplot.colorbar(), I would like to have the original number of entries on the ticks, not their log10.

Ideally, I'd change the yaxis of the colorbar to a logscale, and use numpy.power(10, yaxis_values) on it.
I think colorbar().ax.set_yscale('log') should do what I need for the first part, but how do I get the original number of entries back, rather than their log10.
I could cheat and simply replace each ticklabel with 10^ticklabel, but I don't even know how to do that.

Offhand, I suspect this would be the best solution at present, if the only problem now is that you want the ticklabels written differently. Try using the "format" kwarg of the colorbar, supplying either a format string or a formatter.

Something like this (untested):

from matplotlib.ticker import LogFormatter

class LogFormatterHB(LogFormatter):
     def __call__(self, v, pos=None):
         vv = self._base ** v
         return LogFormatter.__call__(self, vv, pos)

cbar = colorbar( ... , format=LogFormatterHB())

Eric

Hi Eric,
thanks for your response.

Your solution looks like it’s going to return the right numbers, but for some reason the tick labels are gone completely. (Except 0)

The code I have is below. I do think the current behavior is a bug, but if I can get your workaround to go, I’ll be happy.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Jan

-- coding: utf-8 --

from future import division
import matplotlib.pyplot as pl
import numpy as np

data = np.load(‘deltaR_photonIso_parton_jet_109370.npz’)
ptcut = np.logical_and(data[‘jetMomentum’] < 300000, data[‘jetMomentum’]>0)
deltaRCut = data[‘deltaR’]>0
cut = np.logical_and(ptcut, deltaRCut)
pl.hexbin(data[‘jetMomentum’][cut] / 1000, data[‘deltaR’][cut], gridsize=50, bins=‘log’)
pl.title(‘deltaR between parton(eta<2.5) and jet(eta<2.5)’)
pl.xlabel(‘jet pt (GeV)’)
pl.ylabel(‘deltaR’)
cb = pl.colorbar()
cb.set_label(‘\log_{10} # entries’)
pl.show

deltaR_photonIso_parton_jet_109370.npz (149 KB)

···

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@…202…> wrote:

Jan Strube wrote:

Dear matplotters,

In order to emphasize small differences over a large scale, I am using hexbin with the bins=‘log’ option.

Ideally, I’d change the yaxis of the colorbar to a logscale, and use numpy.power(10, yaxis_values) on it.

I think colorbar().ax.set_yscale(‘log’) should do what I need for the first part, but how do I get the original number of entries back, rather than their log10.

I could cheat and simply replace each ticklabel with 10^ticklabel, but I don’t even know how to do that.

Offhand, I suspect this would be the best solution at present, if the only problem now is that you want the ticklabels written differently. Try using the “format” kwarg of the colorbar, supplying either a format string or a formatter.

vv = self._base ** v

cbar = colorbar( … , format=LogFormatterHB())

Eric

Hi Eric,

Your solution looks like it’s going to return the right numbers, but for some reason the tick labels are gone completely. (Except 0)

The code I
have is below. If I can get your workaround to go, I’ll be happy.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Jan

-- coding: utf-8 --

from future import division
import matplotlib.pyplot as pl
import numpy as np

data
= np.load(‘deltaR_parton_jet_109371.npz’)

pl.hexbin(data[‘jetMomentum’][cut] / 1000, data[‘deltaR’][cut], gridsize=50, bins=‘log’)
pl.title(‘deltaR between parton(eta<2.5) and jet(eta<2.5)’)

pl.xlabel(‘jet pt (GeV)’)
pl.ylabel(‘deltaR’)
cb = pl.colorbar()
cb.set_label('\log_{10}

entries’)

pl.show()

deltaR_parton_jet_109371.npz (70.7 KB)

···

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@…202…> wrote:

Jan Strube wrote:

Dear matplotters,

Offhand, I suspect this would be the best solution at present, if the only problem now is that you want the ticklabels written differently. Try using the “format” kwarg of the colorbar, supplying either a format string or a formatter.

vv = self._base ** v

cbar = colorbar( … , format=LogFormatterHB())

Eric

What's the bug -- the fact that the tick labels are the log10 of the
number instead of the number?

I tried Eric's proposal with your code and it is working for me
(colorbar tick labels at 1, 10 and 100)

JDH

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

vv = self._base ** v

data = np.load('deltaR_parton_jet_109371.npz')
ptcut = np.logical_and(data['jetMomentum'] < 300000, data['jetMomentum']>0)
deltaRCut = data['deltaR']>0
fig = plt.figure()
plt.hexbin(data['jetMomentum'][cut] / 1000, data['deltaR'][cut],
gridsize=50, bins='log')
plt.title('deltaR between parton(eta<2.5) and jet(eta<2.5)')
plt.xlabel('jet pt (GeV)')
plt.ylabel('deltaR')
cb = plt.colorbar(format=LogFormatterHB())
cb.set_label('# entries')
plt.show()

···

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@...287...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Your solution looks like it's going to return the right numbers, but for
some reason the tick labels are gone completely. (Except 0)

The code I have is below. I do think the current behavior is a bug, but if I
can get your workaround to go, I'll be happy.

Hi John,

thanks for trying this also. Yes, I think it’s a bug that not the scale is log, but the data is.

Unfortunately, the solution really doesn’t work for me.

Please see the attached screenshot. (Yes, it still says log_10 entries, but the code is otherwise the same)

In [2]: matplotlib.version

Out[2]: ‘1.0.svn’

This is r8063, I think.

Strange that I get different results. Could this be a backend problem? I use PyQT4.

I’d be happy to also update from svn if you think that helps.

Cheers,

Jan

···

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@…287…> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@…287…> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Your solution looks like it’s going to return the right numbers, but for

some reason the tick labels are gone completely. (Except 0)

The code I have is below. I do think the current behavior is a bug, but if I

can get your workaround to go, I’ll be happy.

What’s the bug – the fact that the tick labels are the log10 of the

number instead of the number?

I tried Eric’s proposal with your code and it is working for me

(colorbar tick labels at 1, 10 and 100)

JDH

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

import numpy as np

vv = self._base ** v

data = np.load(‘deltaR_parton_jet_109371.npz’)

fig = plt.figure()

plt.hexbin(data[‘jetMomentum’][cut] / 1000, data[‘deltaR’][cut],

gridsize=50, bins=‘log’)

plt.title(‘deltaR between parton(eta<2.5) and jet(eta<2.5)’)

plt.xlabel(‘jet pt (GeV)’)

plt.ylabel(‘deltaR’)

cb = plt.colorbar(format=LogFormatterHB())

cb.set_label(‘# entries’)

plt.show()

I'm running svn but not svn HEAD -- you should try updating to HEAD
and I will do the same later (unfortunately HEAD is broken on my work
machine (solaris, python2.4) because of the CXX upgrade I put in some
time ago. I think I am on r8083.

I do not think this difference could be caused by a backend or GUI
version difference as all of the formatting logic happens in the
frontend. If we are on the same version of svn, we should be getting
the same tick labels.

JDH

···

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@...287...> wrote:

Hi John,
thanks for trying this also. Yes, I think it's a bug that not the scale is
log, but the data is.
Unfortunately, the solution really doesn't work for me.
Please see the attached screenshot. (Yes, it still says log_10 entries, but
the code is otherwise the same)
In [2]: matplotlib.__version__
Out[2]: '1.0.svn'
This is r8063, I think.
Strange that I get different results. Could this be a backend problem? I use
PyQT4.
I'd be happy to also update from svn if you think that helps.

Hi John,

I am now at r8141.
I don’t see a difference. There’s a one at the bottom of the scale, that’s all.
I am copying and pasting the code in your other email into a python console.

It’s a bit strange, because when I put in a print statement, I see that the method gets called a number of times…
[edit] I see what’s going on. If I replace vv with a large constant (like 100), it never gets printed.
If I replace vv with a small constant (like 1), that is below the range of the scale, it does get printed at each tick.[/edit]

My setup is kubuntu karmic, dependencies listed below.
I have removed my matplotlibrc, but the result is the same. I am attaching it nevertheless…

Cheers,
Jan

matplotlibrc (16.6 KB)

···
============================================================================                                                              
BUILDING MATPLOTLIB                                                                                                                       
            matplotlib: 1.0.svn                                                                                                           
                python: 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Nov  2 2009, 14:44:17)  [GCC                                                                   
                        4.4.1]                                                                                                            
              platform: linux2                                                                                                            

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                                     
                 numpy: 1.3.0                                                                                                             
             freetype2: 9.20.3                                                                                                            

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                             
                libpng: 1.2.37                                                                                                            
               Tkinter: no                                                                                                                
                        * TKAgg requires Tkinter                                                                                          
              wxPython: no                                                                                                                
                        * wxPython not found                                                                                              
            pkg-config: looking for pygtk-2.0 gtk+-2.0                                                                                    
                        * Package pygtk-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config                                                               
                        * search path. Perhaps you should add the directory                                                               
                        * containing `pygtk-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH                                                                
                        * environment variable No package 'pygtk-2.0' found                                                               
                        * Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config                                                                
                        * containing `gtk+-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH                                                                 
                        * environment variable No package 'gtk+-2.0' found                                                                
                        * You may need to install 'dev' package(s) to                                                                     
                        * provide header files.                                                                                           
                  Gtk+: no                                                                                                                
                        * Could not find Gtk+ headers in any of                                                                           
                        * '/usr/local/include', '/usr/include', '.'                                                                       
       Mac OS X native: no                                                                                                                
                    Qt: no                                                                                                                
                   Qt4: Qt: 4.5.2, PyQt4: 4.6                                                                                             
                 Cairo: 1.8.6                                                                                                             

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                       
              datetime: present, version unknown                                                                                          
              dateutil: 1.4.1                                                                                                             
                  pytz: 2009l                                                                                                             

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                              
                dvipng: 1.12                                                                                                              
           ghostscript: 8.70                                                                                                              
                 latex: 3.1415926                                                                                                         
               pdftops: 0.12.0                                                                                                            

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]                                                                                           

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@…287…> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@…287…> wrote:

Hi John,

thanks for trying this also. Yes, I think it’s a bug that not the scale is

log, but the data is.

This is r8063, I think.

PyQT4.

I’m running svn but not svn HEAD – you should try updating to HEAD

the same tick labels.

JDH

Hi John, Eric,

sorry to bug again, but was either of you able to reproduce my findings that in svn head the tick labels don’t get printed if the formatter changes them to be outside the range of the axis?

Cheers,

Jan

···

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@…287…> wrote:

Hi John,

I am now at r8141.
I don’t see a difference. There’s a one at the bottom of the scale, that’s all.

I am copying and pasting the code in your other email into a python console.

It’s a bit strange, because when I put in a print statement, I see that the method gets called a number of times…

[edit] I see what’s going on. If I replace vv with a large constant (like 100), it never gets printed.
If I replace vv with a small constant (like 1), that is below the range of the scale, it does get printed at each tick.[/edit]

My setup is kubuntu karmic, dependencies listed below.
I have removed my matplotlibrc, but the result is the same. I am attaching it nevertheless…

Cheers,
Jan

BUILDING MATPLOTLIB                                                                                                                       
            matplotlib: 1.0.svn                                                                                                           

python: 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Nov  2 2009, 14:44:17)  [GCC                                                                   
                        4.4.1]                                                                                                            

platform: linux2                                                                                                            

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                                     
                 numpy: 1.3.0                                                                                                             

freetype2: 9.20.3                                                                                                            

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                             
                libpng: 1.2.37                                                                                                            

Tkinter: no                                                                                                                
                        * TKAgg requires Tkinter                                                                                          

wxPython: no                                                                                                                
                        * wxPython not found                                                                                              

pkg-config: looking for pygtk-2.0 gtk+-2.0                                                                                    
                        * Package pygtk-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config                                                               

* containing `pygtk-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH                                                                

* environment variable No package 'pygtk-2.0' found                                                               
                        * Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config                                                                

* containing `gtk+-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH                                                                 

* environment variable No package 'gtk+-2.0' found                                                                
                        * You may need to install 'dev' package(s) to                                                                     

* provide header files.                                                                                           
                  Gtk+: no                                                                                                                

* Could not find Gtk+ headers in any of                                                                           
                        * '/usr/local/include', '/usr/include', '.'                                                                       

Mac OS X native: no                                                                                                                
                    Qt: no                                                                                                                

Qt4: Qt: 4.5.2, PyQt4: 4.6                                                                                             
                 Cairo: 1.8.6                                                                                                             

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                       

datetime: present, version unknown                                                                                          
              dateutil: 1.4.1                                                                                                             

pytz: 2009l                                                                                                             

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES                                                                                                              
                dvipng: 1.12                                                                                                              

ghostscript: 8.70                                                                                                              
                 latex: 3.1415926                                                                                                         

pdftops: 0.12.0                                                                                                            

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]                                                                                           

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@…287…> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@…287…> wrote:

Hi John,

thanks for trying this also. Yes, I think it’s a bug that not the scale is

log, but the data is.

This is r8063, I think.

PyQT4.

I’m running svn but not svn HEAD – you should try updating to HEAD

the same tick labels.

JDH

Hi John, Eric,
sorry to bug again, but was either of you able to reproduce my findings that
in svn head the tick labels don't get printed if the formatter changes them
to be outside the range of the axis?

On svn HEAD (r8142) (and the branch) I get the attached figure with
the attached code. I'm running the code with

python test.py

from the python shell. Are you getting a different result?

JDH

test.py (736 Bytes)

···

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Jan Strube <curiousjan@...287...> wrote: